Generic Bookshelves
Subwoofers
SVS PB 2000
Video Display Device
PC
Screen
100inch projector BENQ W2000
Hello!
New user of rew, i am facing a problem which maybe is affecting other parts of my using of rew as well...
On preferences -> Levels -> Use main speaker test signal to check/set levels -> "check levels..." button i dont get any output whatever driver i select ( i have tried both asio and java ),
although i get noises from generator or from measurements sweep just fine.

Also when i have java driver selected when i select EXCL: DENON-AVR i get a warning popup saying "the output volume is set to zero".

All of these i thought that they didn't matter cause i could do measurements sweeps and everything else just fine...
Only today when i needed to measure a speaker distance from the mic and after taking a measurement
(like this)
i went to Overlays -> Impulse and there wasn't any visible chirp.

If all these point to any misconfiguration or problem can you please help me??

EDIT: I am currently using early access version, but same problems i tested with normal version as well, and i am on windows 10, nvidia graphics card
EDIT2: I am attaching a test mdat of a measurement with a flat line under impulse

Attachments

• flat-chirp.mdat
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
After you click Check levels the help section below explains what to do next, the signal is generated after clicking the Next button.

REW reads the Windows volume control setting, it is shown below the "Control output volume" box. If it is zero (as shown on your screenshots) Windows may mute the output, though WASAPI exclusive may bypass the Windows volume controls. If you want to access channels other than L and R on Windows you will need to use the WASAPI exclusive output option or switch to an ASIO driver.

The Impulse graphs show impulse responses, determining the impulse response is the primary purpose of most audio measurement software since it characterises the system and is the source of the other information that is displayed.

John Aps

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-2400H
Front Speakers
ROISTER emphasis
Center Channel Speaker
ROISTER emphasis
Surround Speakers
Generic Bookshelves
Rear Height Speakers
Generic Bookshelves
Subwoofers
SVS PB 2000
Video Display Device
PC
Screen
As i understand, correct me if i am wrong, everything is ok (as i found out i needed to actually press next, sorry you have to deal with chipmunks like me), and even the output volume is zero isnt a problem as i understood especially if i use asio which i do.
Now for the chirp part on my measurement
thats what i expected
i have time pintpointed exactly the same part i am doing and not getting in my impulse response

I took the measurement exactly as Serkan did in that video, and as you can see in my mdat, i cant see that chirp i heard at the beginning nowhere in the impulse...

Can you please tell me if it is my fault or something else?

Thank you so much for your time and fast responses, greatly appreciate it, and i also want to get this chance to thank you for having such an extensive and capable program open for anyone, you are truly inspiring, and i hope will be able to learn REW and give back any way i can!!!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You aren't seeing anything there because there shouldn't be anything there. Perhaps there is some form of crosstalk in Serkan's setup that causes that glitch. There is no way to tell the absolute distance of a speaker in REW, it only knows times relative to the timing reference it picks up when it arrives at the mic. To get an initial distance figure to put in your AVR I recommend a tape measure.

John Aps

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-2400H
Front Speakers
ROISTER emphasis
Center Channel Speaker
ROISTER emphasis
Surround Speakers
Generic Bookshelves
Rear Height Speakers
Generic Bookshelves
Subwoofers
SVS PB 2000
Video Display Device
PC
Screen
Thank you John!
I got it sorted with Serkan, thank you for the quick response <3, i hope you all the best!

Top Bottom