New REW user

Bill Brown

Registered
I recently started using REW. What an amazing piece of SW. Thank you. I used to use fuzzmeasure after my first attempt at REW was daunting a few years ago. I have several questions, so will try to balance my wanting to ask several questions v ridiculous length.

System is JBL LSR6332 mains with an RME ADI 2, Benchmark amplifier and 4 studio JBL subs (10”, sealed) (I sold off all my traditional gear before going overseas a few years ago and now have pro stuff).

The subs have adjustments for level, XO, and 0 or 180 degree phase (not continuous, unfortunately).

Room is too square at 14’ x 15’ with an 8’ ceiling.

Front two subs are under the mains and driven L, R respectively. One additional sub in each rear corner fed L+R.

I have tried to integrate the subs with measurements a thousand times and went through the process with REW again.

Top to bottom is mains only, then additional subs, then lastly, an EQ’d response. The last sub is inverted rel. to the others. This smoothed out the 90-150Hz range while emphasizing a 78Hz mode and decreasing LF extension a bit. Still not sure it was the best choice…..

The measurements are L+R and all subs (mains run full range) at the listening position, UMIK with calibration file, at the main LP.

My first question is what am I hearing in the highs? I read a lot about FDW and tried it at the default settings. Is it what I am hearing? It doesn't sound like it, but I could be fooling myself:

(“Full RME” just refers to doing all EQ in the RME rather than as plug-ins in Audirvana.)

Confused and doubting myself, I exported the IR to fuzzmeasure and gated the measurement for the first 10ms and got this:

I admit to not yet understanding gating in REW, and that leads to my second question. I can’t get the IR to look what I am used to seeing and what many here have posted. Mine looks like an ETC no matter what I try rather than this:

The first attached MDAT is of the un-EQ’d system. It is unfortunately a measurement with comb-filtering in the HFs, the second is the EQ’d response above without comb-filtering.

Thank you for any thoughts you may have and wading through this!

Bill

Attachments

• Full system no EQ.mdat
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Full RME (EQ).mdat
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Bill Brown

Registered
I have four inch GIK absorbers centered behind the speakers, at the first-reflection points on the side walls, and one behind the LP (which is perhaps too close too the rear wall). My next plan is extensive treatment of the ceiling (after I finish remodeling the back porch.....).

Bill

Bill Brown

Registered
I initially set up the EQ in DDMF's EQ as a plug-in, then tried to match it with the RME (so would be in use for movies as well, a secondary use for me), which is obviously more limited, with 5 PEQs and a bass and treble control that can be specified. I used both in the process and current settings are:

-3db 43Hz Q 2.5
-2.5db 50Hz Q 6.5
-10.5db 78Hz Q 9
-1db 280Hz Q 5 ( this the highest Q avail. for this band) (ceiling reflection)
-5.5db 660Hz Q 2 (highest Q avail.), not always on

“Bass” (LS 12db) -4.5db 100Hz Q 0.5
“Treble” (HS 12 db) -2.5db 3kHz Q 0.5

Bill Brown

Registered
There must be something simple to this that I can't figure out despite clicking all the buttons I could think of.....

Top Bottom