Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Raal Sierra tower
Center Channel Speaker
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon
With lumber prices insanely high, construction on the new theatre has been halted until prices come back from the stratosphere. I am taking this time to get all of my gear purchased and have been mulling over video display options.

At some point, I plan to get a projector for movies, Blu Ray live performances, series such as GOT and maybe some sports events but I will need a display for gaming, regular television content and You Tube etc. so a TV is a must. I currently sit 14ft from my 55" plasma and find it a bit small. I will be sitting roughly the same distance in the theatre room so I already know I need to go bigger, I'm thinking 70" minimum.

Current thoughts are the TV will be built into the wall so heat may be a concern. I'm looking for 4K with the highest refresh rate and best picture with deep blacks. As far as budget, I will spend what I need to get a great picture and dependability but it's not unlimited. 5k is where I would like to cap it if possible. I know how audiophiles love to spend other peoples money, I suspect the video side is no different.

Lastly, I don't need all of the extra features on todays smart TVs. I simply need a way to display video. Although, a fourth way to access You Tube, E-mail and surf the web might be nice. :sarcastic: Lol

Is there a monitor available >70" that will serve my purpose better than a "smart" TV for about the same price?
What are everyone's thoughts or recommendations?
I'm leaning toward the Sony Bravia OLED line.

Last edited:

what bass

Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Sherborn PT-7030
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
After some research, the QLED seems to be the better tech since OLED will degrade over time. How much time, I haven't read. An 85" Samsung NEO QLED puts me right at my price cap. I would think these would come down some in price in a couple years while "standard" QLED seems to have come down some.
I will need to visit a Best Buy or somewhere that has them on display to see if there is any discernable difference between the two.
NEO boasts a 120hz refresh, same as Q but jumps up to 240. I'm guessing due to double layering, for lack of the correct term?

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Well I have a 2017 LG OLED and I've noticed zero degradation. It's our main viewing display as well. That being said, the QLEDs are generally a very close second to OLEDs and the price is generally much more agreeable to most pocketbooks.

My go-to source for researching displays has been RTINGS for the last couple of years. It's easy to compare different displays and technologies there. It's also easy to find what I like to see in the reviews.

what bass

Supporter
More  
Sherborn PT-7030
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Thx for the reply mechman. Yes, I stumbled onto a RTINGS recommendation in another post shortly after my last entry. I do like the way they present the information, very consistent and easy to compare one product to the next.

I cant find the article I read that mentioned OLED degradation. It was a CNET review or something similar that I came across on my lunch break. The premise was the organic material degrades over time and while reading it seemed plausible. It also compared OLED to Plasma for picture quality and considered them both an organic tech compared to LED. I haven't noticed any degradation on my 8 yr old Panasonic plasma but, if it happens slowly over time, one may not notice.
RTINGS also mentions burn in with OLED if watching anything with a static graphic for extended periods of time. I remember this being an issue when plasmas first came out as well.I do enjoy gaming so it is at least of some concern. I haven't noticed any of this with my Panny but it was one of the last models made long after they worked out the issue.

The two I am now considering would be the LG C1 or CX 77" OLED
or the Samsung 85" QLED.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Go big or go home! lol

what bass

Supporter
More  
Sherborn PT-7030
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
The-370-inch-Titan-Zeus4.jpg

You mean like this? At only $1.6M it's a bargain! Zeus class, 24'

I just got off the phone with Robert at Value Electronics. Very courteous and was only too happy to answer all of my questions. After talking with Robert and everything I've read to this point, OLED was the better choice for picture quality and since that's why I'm buying a display in the first place, for the picture, it proved the better decision. The extra screen on the 85" was certainly a consideration but I plan on a projector in the future anyway. The 77" will be a huge upgrade from my current 55".
I went with the C1 over a slightly cheaper GX for the newer processor. Price was slightly over my desired budget but well under my cap.
Order goes in tonight from Value Electronics of course.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
You took the right route with both Robert and the C1. :T

DragonRM

I’ve been looking at the c1 77 as an option for my next display but it’s just slightly too large for the spot I want to put it in. Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung qn90 or qn800a? The 75” versions of those would be perfect size wise. I’d be replacing my Samsung JS9500 but can’t justify the price jump to the 900a. Reviews of the 800a are hard to come by but the only complaints I‘be seen were about the stand causing the screen to crack but Samsung says that its more likely due to a shipping issue.

DragonRM

I’ve been looking at the c1 77 as an option for my next display but it’s just slightly too large for the spot I want to put it in. Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung qn90 or qn800a? The 75” versions of those would be perfect size wise. I’d be replacing my Samsung JS9500 but can’t justify the price jump to the 900a. Reviews of the 800a are hard to come by but the only complaints I‘be seen were about the stand causing the screen to crack but Samsung says that its more likely due to a shipping issue.
Plus the room I’m in for the gaming setup is fairly bright…

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Have you looked at RTings? That's my go to whenever someone asks me about a display that I have had no exposure. I've never been asked to calibrate one of these models.

DragonRM

I don’t know if I trust their review in this case... Some of it doesn’t add up to other real world videos I’ve seen. I wonder if theirs had an issue that was fixed with one of the firmware updates.

Top Bottom