Need Help "Short Circuit Measurement i not Valid"

biogesic

Registered
Hi all, I trying to make the jig for the impedance measurement but Im stuck with calibrating because I always have this error... I dont know what seems to be the problem.. I followed this diagram
1.png
Capture.JPG

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The diagram looks wrong, laptop headset inputs usually have a mono mic input and a stereo headphone output and so are not useable for impedance measurement, which requires a stereo input.

Bernard

Hi all, I trying to make the jig for the impedance measurement but Im stuck with calibrating because I always have this error... I dont know what seems to be the problem.. I followed this diagram View attachment 64937 View attachment 64938
Hi,
The diagram posted comes from the "Audio Judgement" website.
You need to read the author's article Measure Thiele Small parameters using free software - Audio Judgement and to watch the "Part 2 : UPDATE video".
It should work.

Attachments

• REW Capture d'écran 2023-10-18 205122.png
    REW Capture d'écran 2023-10-18 205122.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

biogesic

Registered
The diagram looks wrong, laptop headset inputs usually have a mono mic input and a stereo headphone output and so are not useable for impedance measurement, which requires a stereo input.
yes Iv seen part 2 but still got the same results. Im using an external soundcard

Last edited:

biogesic

Registered
Thanks, I was following the diagram for the cable and using this external soundcard for the input and output.... also tried this diagram from the site and also gives me the same error....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 27
  • d7bed8598f7c493ac68a20aee102cb3f.jpg
    d7bed8598f7c493ac68a20aee102cb3f.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 26
  • impedancesetup.jpg
    impedancesetup.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

trobbins

VIP Supporter
Have you confirmed basic loopback measurement is ok from your designated output to separately each designated input ? That should confirm that you have assigned the inputs and outputs in REW 'Preferences' control correctly.

biogesic

Registered
Have you confirmed basic loopback measurement is ok from your designated output to separately each designated input ? That should confirm that you have assigned the inputs and outputs in REW 'Preferences' control correctly.
tried swapping loopback but still have the same results and cant go thru number 2 cal.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 19

trobbins

VIP Supporter
Were you able to do a frequency measurement sweep from the designated output, looped back to the designated input, and see a flat-line amplitude and phase response, and where that frequency response changed levels as the output signal level was varied using soundcard settings? And similar for other input channel, and similar for when the input gain control is varied on the soundcard?

biogesic

Registered
For the soundcard use line in and headphone out. Both require stereo jack plugs.
I managed to solved the issues and successfully getting it to work for few weeks and yesterday I cleared cal and tried to calibrate again but now I get lots of errors and cant get pass 1st cal and cant get the input levels the same...
ERROR.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 13

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If that's the open circuit calibration the level should be almost the same on both inputs, which suggests a wiring problem since the measurement input should be getting the same signal as the reference input, just from after the sense resistor.

biogesic

Registered
If that's the open circuit calibration the level should be almost the same on both inputs, which suggests a wiring problem since the measurement input should be getting the same signal as the reference input, just from after the sense resistor.
you're right, I checked the board of my sound card and found out damaged joints , fixed it and its working now.... thank you...:T

paul_timber

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem with the impedance calibration in rew. I´m using an external soundcard (Behringer UCA 202) ,which i slightly modified, the Arta Box and an old Pioneer A-604R. At the moment I´m not using a microphone, but that should not be any problem. The open circuit calibration works great, but if i make a short circuit calibration, I get an error. Has anyone any idea how I could fix this? I really tried everything and I still have no clue why it´s not working.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 232502.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 223017.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Follow the REW instructions for calibration, leave the box in impedance mode and do not change any settings on it.

paul_timber

Registered
Follow the REW instructions for calibration, leave the box in impedance mode and do not change any settings on it.
Thank´s for the reply.

I read the instructions again, followed it step by step, but I get the same error again. :/

I also check if the wiring is correct and i could not find any error.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Something must be set up wrong. When you do the short circuit measurement the load is shorted, so the measurement input is connected to ground through that short while the ref input gets a direct feed from the output. Since the image you posted shows both inputs have almost exactly the same level the measurement input can't be shorted to ground or the sense resistor isn't in circuit.

paul_timber

Registered
Something must be set up wrong. When you do the short circuit measurement the load is shorted, so the measurement input is connected to ground through that short while the ref input gets a direct feed from the output. Since the image you posted shows both inputs have almost exactly the same level the measurement input can't be shorted to ground or the sense resistor isn't in circuit.
I just measured with a multimeter if the sense resistor is in the circuit and it is. I also check if the wiring of the arta box is correct and I couldn´t find any mistake.

Is there any easy solution without the arta box? If there is one and it would work, i would know, that the problem is the arta box.
Or maybe you have any other idea, why it´s not working?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The minimum circuit is shown in the help, there is very little to it. For it not to work as you have it set up either the switches are in the wrong position (the box should be in impedance mode and on, NOT in cal/off) or something is wrong in the wiring. It should be pretty straightforward to check that when you short the leads where the thing you plan to measure will be connected that you have a good connection to ground right back to the measurement input.

Top Bottom