National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :4stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :2stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

There are a few Christmas films that really embody the spirit of Christmas for me, the main ones being A Christmas Story, Die Hard (duhhhh!) and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Written by veteran film writer John Hughes, It has to be one of the most watched movies in my entire Christmas collection. It was back in a time when Chevy Chase was actually funny (I know that seems like a lifetime ago), and back when the “Vacation” series had an edgy flair to them, before the typical softening of comedies as the franchise goes on. While National Lampoon’s Vacation is considered the first and one of the greatest comedies in the series, I personally find that Christmas Vacation is the better film of the two. Even though John Hughes always says that he writes sequels under duress, I have to say that the second time was charm (since he did write “Vacation”). It’s funny, witty, down right insane and if you’ve ever spent a giant Christmas gathering with your family, I’m sure pretty much all of us can find something in common with the poor Griswolds.

Poor Clarke Griswold (Chevy Chase) is done taking his family to Wally World for vacation, this year he’s setting himself up for failure with yet another family gathering. This time it’s the all famous conglomeration of family from all walks of life in that wonderful holiday known as Christmas. While the rest of the family is set to just enjoy (or grit their teeth and bear) the holidays, Clarke has twinkle lights and sugar plum fairies in his eyes. He’s expecting his regular Christmas bonus this year, and he’s going to surprise his family with a brand new swimming pool for the back yard. He’s even gone so far as to put a giant $7,500 deposit on the pool, overstretching his means till that bonus check arrives. But not to be dissuaded by a little thing like stressfully waiting, Clarke mows on ahead as parents and in-laws gather at his house, including a few uninvited guests. I mean, what “Vacation” movie would be complete without Cousin Eddie (Randy Quaid) and their dirt poor, redneck family. Or the inclusion of their aging 80 year senile aunt and her old fashioned and grumpy husband. Or the enjoyable addition of their rich, snobby, jerkish neighbors (played by Julia-Louis Dreyfuss and Nicholas Guest).

Now it wouldn’t be a Vacation movie if things didn’t go horribly wrong. Nothing seems to work right for the Griswold family in the movies, but this one is of epic proportions. Daughters Audrey (Juliette Lewis) and Rusty (this time played by Johnny Galecki who will go on to be famous as Leonard in “Big Bang Theory) have to give up their rooms to bunk with each other, while the rest of the extended family is crammed in. Clarke is stressed up to his eyeballs over their missing Christmas bonus check, and he distracts himself by becoming the biggest neighborhood nuisance ever with his over exuberant love of twinkle lights (25,000 lights to be exact, including a wiring job that would make any electrician sob). Clarke gets locked in his own freezing cold attic to freeze his tushie off, and then there is Uncle Eddie and family. NOTHING is safe when Uncle Eddie comes to town, and that includes kidnapping this year as well. However, throughout all this chaos, the Griswold’s still are able to find the magic of family, even if that magic is found after what seems like the most arduous several weeks of their life.

John Hughes is famous for saying that the Vacation series of movies are just a Chevy Chase vehicle, but I don’t see that as a bad thing. Back in the 80’s he was on fire with hit after hit, and his overly cheerful portrayal of the madcap Griswold family leader fits him quite well. “Christmas Vacation” has to be the madcap, yet the most grounded film of the series. If you’ve ever had a giant Christmas gathering with huge amounts of family coming in from out of state, then there are probably good sections of the movie that will jive with each and every viewer. I may not have the crazy aunt and uncle, or the grumpy grandparents, but who hasn’t had the bickering of in-laws, or the time where dad loses his cool due to the stress, or staring at your checkbook wondering just HOW this is all going to be possible. That’s what makes the movie so harshly funny. We’ve ALL had at least some of the checklist happen to us before.

Through it all Christmas Vacation has a lot of heart. No matter how much you want to punch Clarke upside the head, you have to admire his passion for family. He doesn’t get it right a lot of the time, and he certainly messes things up more than your average bear, but he loves his family and puts his heart and soul into giving everyone a good time. Whether they like it or not.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 By the MPAA

4K Video: :4stars: Video: :4stars:
Taken from the same remastering as the 2015 steelbook came from, the 4K UHD
is nice and shiny with an HEVC encoding and looking a lot better than even the remastered Blu-ray. Done at YCM labs the mastering finally gets rid of that mushy and overly red push that the original release was so plagued with. Gone are the artifacts and instead we have a very filmic presentation. Before we go on, I must warn you that no matter how much remastering goes on Christmas Vacation will always a 1989 movie shot on 35 mm film in a time when film stock wasn’t as razor sharp, due to budgets, as movies of different eras. Thusly the film will always retain a bit of a darker and grainer look to it.

Still, this new disc looks fantastic. Colors are natural and blacks, as deep as they get sometimes, don’t really ever crush (much). Fine detail is much improved, as we no longer just see a bit of a blurry mush for fine detail. Instead fibers are readily apparent on clothing, footprints in the snow look detailed as you can see the individual imperfections in the snow, and that nasty red push that was so prevalent in the original release is finally gone. Flesh tones are much more realistic and natural, without that ruddy tinge that the red push gave faces. Contrast levels are balanced and neutral, giving an overall pleasing look to the film at all times. There’s still a bit of softness thanks to filming style, which was pretty normal in the 80’s 35mm film stock, but overall this is the absolute best Christmas Vacation has ever looked. Comparing against the remastered Blu-ray it looks a solid sight better, with more naunced colors and some definite decreases in banding. Overall I'd say it's a farily healthy uprade over the new Blu-ray (which is technically 7 years old now) and a HUGE increase over the 2006 Blu-ray.

Audio: :4.5stars:
This disc ports over the same remastered audio from the 2015 edition (both the 5.1 and the 2.0 original theatrical mix in DTS-HD MA)
. Gone is the lossy Dolby track from the old old Blu-ray and in its place is a newly recorded 2.0 track in lossless DTS-HD MA. While it may not seem like a whole lot on paper, the lossless re-encode of the original audio makes a big difference in reality. The whole track just has a lot more heft and weight to it. Dialog is stronger and more distinguishable and there is a lot more authority to the effects. The SWAT team crashing the dinner party at the very end is a great scene to A/B as it sounds a lot more powerful and emphatic. Background effects sound clearer and more audible instead of getting lost in the shuffle. Dialog is always clear and always audible, with a beautiful balance this time around. Way to go Warner!

Extras: :2stars:
• Feature commentary track with actors Randy Quaid, Beverly D'Angelo, Johnny Galecki, Miriam Flynn, director Jeremiah Chechik, and producer Matty Simmons (on Blu-ray and the 4K disc)
• Trailer

Final Score: :4stars:

Christmas Vacation is still one of the highlights of my Christmas festivities and for good reason. It’s a fantastic film that hits all of the highs and lows of the Christmas craziness, and done in such a hilarious fashion. Everyone is having a ball and it is probably the peak Vacation movie out of all the Chevy Chase vehicles. The new 4K UHD disc looks great, edging out the already nicely done remastered Blu-ray from 2015 fairly handily. Extras are still the same meager offerings as said 2015 release, but overall this is a fairly solid upgrade for fans. Recommended.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Juliette Lewis
Directed by: Jeremiah S. Chechik
Written by: John Hughes
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, Original DTS-HD MA 2.0, French DD 2.0, Spanish DD Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Dutch
Studio: Warner
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 97 Minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: November 1st, 2022

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Enjoyed all the National Lampoon movies. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Great review. I’d have to agree… classic film from start to finish and one of my favorites around this time of year.

Sounds like this one is worth picking up!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. Love this film. Every year we watch Christmas Vacation, Elf and the forever classic A Christmas Story. You'll shot your eye out kid!

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I saw this coming and thought "I don't need to buy it again", but now I'm thinking I need to buy it again. Probably pick it up on Kaleidescape next month when it gets to be time to watch it.

This movie, the Star Wars Holiday Special and Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas are the only movies I HAVE to watch every holiday season. The rest I can take or leave.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I saw this coming and thought "I don't need to buy it again", but now I'm thinking I need to buy it again. Probably pick it up on Kaleidescape next month when it gets to be time to watch it.

This movie, the Star Wars Holiday Special and Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas are the only movies I HAVE to watch every holiday season. The rest I can take or leave.

I thought the same exact thing, Travis. I'm thinking this will be landing in my collection!!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I may buy it too but it streams every year around the holidays so don't know.

Top Bottom