My Fair Lady

Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :5stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

Movie

Audrey Hepburn was always a celebrity crush of mine growing up, and considering that I grew up in a fairly conservative household (my parents were from a much older generation, as they were nearly 45 when I was born) so films like Breakfast at Tiffany’s and My Fair Lady were shown for family movie night many a time. While Breakfast at Tiffany’s is usually touted as her “best” film, I’m firmly in the camp that My Fair Lady holds that crown with relative ease. It’s not as serious or “deep” as Breakfast at Tiffany’s but it is a masterful musical that captures the heart and soul of fun and lovable in ways that most of her movies aspired to emulate and reach. It’s catchy, joyous, and full of vivacious life in a sort of Beauty and the Beast romance between a simple flower girl and an obnoxious blue blooded phonetics professor.

Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn) is a simple flower girl in London, peddling her wares to anyone who will pay a few pence for said flowers, and has no aspirations of being anything else. She speaks with a rough cockney accent, and no one considers her anything but “one of the guys”. She has to make do on her own due to the fact that her father (Stanley Holloway) is a raging drunk and notorious bum, leaving her to make her own way in the world. That is until an obnoxious phonetics professor by the name of Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison) catches her in the wild and muses that he could turn her from a simple flower girl into a veritable princess, just by teaching her to talk.

Tentatively taking him up on his offer, Eliza agrees to spend the next several months living in Professor Higgins large estate learning how to speak, talk, walk, and generally act like a lady of culture as Higgins and his friend Col Pickering (Wilfrid Hyde-White) make a bet on whether he can pull off the stunt. While it seems hard enough to learn how to speak like a lady, it’s only made harder due to the fact that Professor Higgins is an outright jackass. He bloviates, is arrogant beyond belief, and is as rough around the manners as a commoner, just hidden behind his blue blooded aristocratic book learning.

My Fair Lady has been labeled at being overly long at a few minutes shy of 3 hours, but I think it actually needs a few extra minutes runtime to explore a few issues (especially the ending, which I’ll touch on in a paragraph or two). The movie tackles things like discrimination, mutual respect between the sexes, self worth, but does it with such a sense of glee and boyish charm that it doesn’t fall into the drama category. Watching Eliza fully bloom into a true Lady in every sense of the word is marvelous to behold, culminating in her dressing down Higgins boorish and brutish behavior in the last 15 minutes of the movie. She is no longer the cockney flower girl who was cowed by the looming intelligence and brashness of the quick witted professor. She’s a fully formed woman who can take him on without missing a beat (and does so wonderfully in that final argument). Audrey literally became Eliza, and is easily her most stand out performance, and easily her most memorable one as well.

Rex Harrison also steals the rest of the movie as the brash Professor Higgins. He’s so over the top with his boorish and rude behavior that you almost love to hate him, and hate to love him. He can’t sing nearly as well as the rest of the cast, but he exudes that sort of rude charm that made him the pariah of the high society that he once came from. The movie plays his brutishness against Eliza’s burgeoning ladyhood (if that’s a word) so delicately and wonderfully that you can’t help but grin at the antics the two get into with their oil and water personalities. Their romance is nearly as good, especially when watching Higgins come to grips with the knowledge that his feels for Eliza have grown to something more than camaraderie. ESPECIALLY when he’s taken down a peg or too by Eliza’s newfound strength and confidence in her own self worth. My ONLY complaint with the movie (and the reason I’m not giving a 5/5 rating) is the ending. I felt as if the movie needed a few more minutes, or at least brought their confrontation a half hour earlier in the film, as it seems like Eliza comes back TOO soon to Higgins, not allowing him time enough to actually change. The film implies that he has gained a new respect for her, but the audience doesn’t have enough time to process it, nor does the film show enough of it to make that end scene seem realistic. That being said, it’s a minor quibble at best for an otherwise fantastic film.

Rating:

Rated G for General Audiences by the MPAA

4K Video: :5stars: Video: :5stars:
Wowza. Just simply WOW. My Fair Lady has always looked good, but this is by far one of the best presentations of a classic film that I’ve seen in quite some time. Back in 2015 we got a Robert Harris supervised restoration of the film, and it was given the kid glove treatment. The disc was nothing short of sensational and it really showed how a good restoration and remaster could make an aging film spring to life. However, the new 4K UHD from Paramount shows that there was still gas left in the proverbial tank, as the 2160p presentation is head and shoulders over the abject perfection of the 1080p Blu-ray.

The film opens up with a resplendent display of color, utilizing the HDR and Dolby Vision abilities to their max. Colors are rich and vibrant, with the pink of Eliza’s hat plumage standing out against the deep and depth filled black night of London’s streets. There’s no sign of black crush, no sign of artifacting, and the detail levels are insane. I honestly haven’t seen the film for a couple of years, but still I was flabbergasted watching the movie as if for the very first time. Intricate details such as the lace modeling on Eliza’s dress at the horse race stood out like never before, as did the sparkling sequins on her dress at the infamous ball that is the highlight of the film’s plot. You can even see the stitching and stripping of the fabric on the house keeper’s uniform as the girls are trying to strip Eliza down for her (much needed) bath at the beginning of the bet.

As I briefly touched upon above, the HDR/DV tweaks are incredibly well done. Colors just pop off the screen, but the whites and the black levels really take the cake. The dark, shadowy, streets of London have never looked this revealing, and comparing against the “perfect” 2015 Blu-ray (using the same restoration of the 65 mm film at 8K) shows startling amounts of detail that the 1080p disc just doesn’t have the capability of showing. Except for a few tiny close ups that appear soft (some of the extreme close ups in the final argument at Mrs. Higgins house) the film is razor sharp from beginning to end, with nothing short of abject perfection being the final analysis.

Audio: :4.5stars:
As with the video, the audio also got a bit of a face lift in the 2015 edition, giving us a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD mix that was recorded at 96k. The original 5.1 mix was solid enough, but this 7.1 mix is a true thing of beauty to listen to. The voices are razor sharp and the music just flows effortlessly throughout all 6 channels. The mix is still what it always is though, slightly front heavy due to the massive amounts of dialog, but counterbalanced with tons of musical numbers that bring in the surrounds and subs (although this is not a film that pounds away with LFE. Rather it gently accentuates the score with a soft low end) for a more balanced effect. Lyrics are fantastic and probably the highlight of the mix, but the one thing that I noticed was that Eliza’s over dub is still obvious as ever. Dialog also generally exquisite, though I did notice a VERY VERY slight harsh overtone to Rex Harrison’s shrill voice (I first noticed it when he was chastising Eliza in his drawing room as the best is first created). It’s not perfect, but it comes amazingly close to it, and is a treat to listen to.

Extras: :4stars:
• More Loverly Than Ever: The Making of My Fair Lady Then & Now
• 1963 Production Kick-Off Dinner
• Los Angeles Premiere
• British Premiere
• George Cukor Directs Baroness Bina Rothschild
• Rex Harrison Radio Interview
• Production Tests
-- Lighting
-- Wilfred Hyde White make-up
-- Rain/set
-- Covent Garden lighting test
-- Alt. Higgins/Pickering screen test
• Alternate Audrey Hepburn Vocals
-- Show Me
-- Wouldn't It Be Loverly?
• Galleries
• Comments on a Lady
-- Andrew Lloyd Webber
-- Martin Scorsese
• Theatrical Featurettes
-- Story of a Lady
-- Design for a Lady
-- The Fairest Fair Lady
• Trailers
• Theatrical Reissue: Poster Illustration
• Theatrical Reissue: Poster Illustration Reserved Seats Trailer
• Theatrical Reissue: Poster Illustration Awards
• Theatrical Reissue
• Awards
-- Rex Harrison BFI Honor
-- Rex Harrison Golden Globe Acceptance Speech
-- Academy Awards Ceremony Highlights 4/5/65

Final Score: :4.5stars:

I said it before, and I’ll say it again….WOW! This is an absolutely amazing disc that outclasses the already amazing Blu-ray, and for an absolutely amazing film. My Fair Lady is probably the pinnacle of Audrey Hepburn films in my personal opinion, and this release is just dazzling. I know that it’s not that common, but I must point out that his only comes with the 4K UHD disc, and the 2nd disc that housed all the special features from the 2015 combo set, so there is no Blu-ray for those of you who have TV’s and stations that need the Blu-ray. So in that case I’d suggest holding onto the Blu-ray as well. The Video alone is the only thing “different” from said 2015 Blu-ray, but it’s a doozy on 4K UHD, and WELL worth the cost of upgrading if you have the equipment. A great film, a great disc, and this garners one of the highest recommendations I can give. Must Own.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Stanley Holloway, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Gladys Cooper, Jeremy Brett
Directed by: George Cukor
Written by: Alan Jay Lerner (Book of musical play), George Bernard Shaw (from the play)
Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Swedish
Studio: Paramount
Rated: G
Runtime: 172 minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: May 25th, 2021

Recommendation: Must Own

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. We named our daughter after Audrey Hepburn. Beautiful lady!

Epoxy1

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Great review and I totally agree. Hepburn is a complete and total hottie. Top 3 all time in Hollywood, IMO, and maybe #1 on my list. If I were only 40 years older...what could have been ;)

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. A great movie to have!

Top Bottom