Multi Mic and FFT readings

jjohnston

Registered
I am curious if I have the Behringer UMC202HD can the system take live readings from 2 locations and average them together on the fly? I think the SMAART software does this, and was just curious if REW did. Not a huge deal if not, just curious.

jjohnston

Registered
Thanks for the reply! I just want to confirm also, the RTA, does that take FFT type readings, or is it like the readings I would get from my old RTA that doesn't account for reflections? Sorry if that question doesn't make sense, I'm new to the FFT

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The RTA shows the results of continuous overlapped FFTs of the input. Not sure what you mean by not accounting for reflections. The RTA has no way to distinguish direct from reflected sound, it shows the frequency content of everything that is hitting the mic.

jjohnston

Registered
yeah, I'm probably describing it wrong. I read FFT takes readings based on Frequency and time, where old RTAs just read frequency? One software SMAART, I think you loop the generator signal back into the reading, so it can monitor the mic readings vs what is being generated and build a more accurate measurement... if I am describing or understanding it correctly...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
RTAs use FFT (if software based) or filter banks if hardware. In either case they show the frequency content of the signal, but don't show any time domain information. For that you need a measurement method that extracts an impulse response, which REW does with a log sweep if you use the Measure button. With an impulse response measurement reflections can be included or excluded depending on how the impulse response is windowed before using FFT to calculate the frequency response.

jjohnston

Registered
OK! so I want to use the sweep. then use the EQ settings area to adjust my EQ as needed? If I do sweeps from 6 different locations, will the EQ settings area average the 6 locations to create its suggestion?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You would need to generate the average within REW (on the All SPL graph) and then EQ against that.

Top Bottom