Monoprice 12 gauge in wall vs Amazon basic cable

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have been using Monoprice install cables for years, and always loved it. I needed some more wire for my height channels, and was about to buy the Monoprice again...then I saw the Amazon basic cable was a good amount cheaper so I bought a 200' roll for $74 shipped. When I it arrived I took a look at it and saw a few pluses in my book.
1: The outer sheathing was round, thicker than the monoprice, and appeared to be like a hose instead of the loose shrink wrap look on the Monoprice.
2. When you cut the sheathing it reveals a nice twist instead of 2 wires side by side, and pulled into the sheathing with the wires twisting when they want to on the Monoprice.
3. The individual wire sheathing is also thicker than Monoprice too.
4. I also found that the Amazon Basics cable when it is unrolled is much easier to have it be straight vs twisting in every direction.

Has anyone else tried both? What was your experience?

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I use the mono price 12g CL2 wire....in fact just ordered 500 feet $126 tax and shipped, as it’s on sale. Will use it for my 10 in-ceiling speaker install for whole home audio.....sometime in the future. I have used it in the past and in fact most of my stuff is wired with it.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
That is a great deal! I most recently picked up the 4 conductor 12 gauge black sheathed wire, and it was nice, but the outer sheathing was very stiff, and heavy. This made it very hard to run around the room, and inside of plastic channels...it did have the advantage though if only having to run 1 cable to each bia amped speaker though. I have not heard any differences in sound with Monoprice vs Amazon Basic cable at all. It is just the Amazon cable was much more flexible, and for the particular wire I picked up was cheaper than the Monoprice wire. If I had seen it on sale when I bought mine I most likely would have still gotten Monoprice. I am glad I did get the Amazon Basic for the reasons I stated above though.

Top Bottom