Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Mommie Dearest: Paramount Presents Edition

Movie: :1.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: : :3.5stars:
Final Score: :3stars:

Movie

I’ve been having a blast with Paramount and their Paramount Presents line of films. Paramount is one of the few studios actually release non previously released titles along with their hoard of remastered films that have already got a Blu-ray release. Sure, it’s not like the vast majority of the Paramount Presents line is brand new titles, but it’s enough that I really enjoy seeing what they pull out from their archives next.

This time it’s a cult film that is probably legendary for being the very first Razzie award nominations ever. It was an epic train wreck of a film about a very serious subject, that came across as one of the campiest messes of all times. At the time it was a VERY poorly received film for a reason, but over the last 40 years it has gained a cult following for being one of those “so bad it’s hilariously fun” films. And if you look at it, it’s also one of the most emotionally striking films as well. It hits you in the gut and truly makes you uncomfortable (seriously, the coat hanger is legendary for that reason alone), while making you wonder what prompted Faye Dunaway to actually take the project.

Mommie Dearest is taken from the memoirs of Christina Crawford, daughter of actress Joan Crawford, detailing the abusive and rather horrific childhood she had dealing with a mentally unbalanced mother. Joan was a legend in the Golden Age of Hollywood for being one of the most visceral and powerful actresses of all time, but it turns out her home life was a complete wreck. She was abusive, controlling, unhinged, and over time her inner secrets came out (especially in her later years). Mommie Dearest stars Faye Dunaway as the legendary actress, and chronicles Christina’s formative and young adult years with her mother.

Mommie Dearest was supposed to be the next Oscar winner. It had all the earmarks of an easy win. The troubled past of a legendary celebrity, the hidden truth that no one knew, an actress method acting their way into a fantastic performance….but that all came crashing down when it was hailed as the campiest, sleaziest, most insanely acted film of the year, which just so happens to have coincided with the first Razzie awards ceremony ever as well. A coincidence which has skyrocketed it into cult status due to it’s legendary “this is so awful!” rating (though nothing ever beats Bo Derek’s Bolero) as the filmmakers crank up the craziness to level 11.

Faye Dunaway is what makes this picture so much fun to watch (from a certain point of view as Obi Wan would say). She’s completely batnuts crazy throughout the production, and she sunk herself totally into the role to the point of becoming unrecognizable. Supposedly she’s on record for saying that this film totally changed her career, for better or worse, and it’s not hard to see why. Watching this you may not even recognize the famous actress, so far down the rabbit hole she doth goeth. Everything else is just hammy and campy, and makes this one of the best worst movies of all times.

Rating:

Rated PG: Parental Guidance Suggested

Video: :4stars:
I haven’t seen the old DVD of Mommie Dearest for YYYYYYYEEEEARRS so comparing to it’s last home video iteration is just me relying on my memory in terms of color timing, encoding etc. That being said, the new 4K remaster is a rather impressive looking disc with a lot of things going for it. It’s bright, filmic with a great grain texture, and no issues with banding or crush that I could really see (at least outside of minor flickers that are inherent to most compressed 1080p Blu-rays). Skin tones are excellent, and outside of the typical 1980s ruddy push to facial tones, is an all around amazing looking disc. The one downside is that the film looks a bit soft to my eyes, and judging from past interviews was due to the source material as that is a common complaint even on the 35mm print that was reviewed a few years back. Either way, this is a solid looking disc that really shines with great color reproduction and clarity, while having that soft filmic look that late 70s and early 80s movies were known for.

Audio: :4stars:
The flick comes to Blu-ray with the typical 5.1 DTS-HD MA upmix, but also the original 2.0 Mono track in lossy Dolby Digital. I kind of wish for purist sake that Paramount had released the mono track in lossless encoding, but then again, this sound track was never exactly THAT demanding. In fact the 5.1 track is almost overkill as the mix is still very much a talky production with the vast majority of the work done in the front of the room. There’s some minor bumps in the sub and the surrounds, but for the most part this is a 3.0 track. Dialog is well placed up front and I can’t hear any major abnormalities in the volume level. All around good track that does everything well without ever truly excelling at anything simply due to the simplistic sound design of the film.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
• NEW Audio Commentary by American drag queen Hedda Lettuce
• NEW Filmmaker Focus: Biographer Justin Bozung on director Frank Perry
• Commentary by filmmaker John Waters
• The Revival of Joan
• Life with Joan
• Joan Lives On
• Photo Gallery
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film's theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments

Final Score: :3stars:

I wouldn’t say that Mommie Dearest is a film that the general population is screaming for a release, but fans of this cult classic have been wishing that it come to Blu-ray for YEARS, so I guess it’s a great thing that this 40th anniversary collection gets a nice 4K remaster and a whole host of extras (several new ones as well). It looks and sounds absolutely fantastic for what it is, and the movie is hoot and a half to watch if you’ve never seen it before. Definitely a great release for fans, although I would hesitate recommending this as a “this is an awesome blind buy! You’ll love it!” type of rating.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: FAye Dunaway, Diana Scarwid, Steve Forrest, Howard Da Silva, Rutanya Alda
Directed by: Frank Perry
Written by: Christina Crawford (Book), Frank Yablans, Frank Perry (screenplay)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, English, French, German DD 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, German
Studio: Paramount
Rated: PG
Runtime: 129 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: June 1st 2021

Recommendation: Check It Out

Epoxy1

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
I had never seen this until I reviewed it a few weeks ago and I liked it better than you did. It is very bizarre though, that's for sure. Crawford was either a complete whack job or her kid who wrote the tell all book had an axe to grind. While I do believe there's an element of truth in the story about Crawford's OCD, the daughter's story was disputed pretty heavily by Crawford's two youngest adopted kids. Regardless, this movie does not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. Disturbing doesn't begin to describe it.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Interesting... never heard of this film. I might check this one out.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
I had never seen this until I reviewed it a few weeks ago and I liked it better than you did. It is very bizarre though, that's for sure. Crawford was either a complete whack job or her kid who wrote the tell all book had an axe to grind. While I do believe there's an element of truth in the story about Crawford's OCD, the daughter's story was disputed pretty heavily by Crawford's two youngest adopted kids. Regardless, this movie does not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. Disturbing doesn't begin to describe it.

I have no doubt that the truth is somewhere in between. It certainly made for a disturbing and insane film that's for sure

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I saw this movie years ago and still remember how disturbing it was.

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
I have no doubt that the truth is somewhere in between. It certainly made for a disturbing and insane film that's for sure

Exactly how I feel. I honestly think this is a promotional film for Prozac--you'll need to pop a couple of them when the credits start rolling ;)

Top Bottom