minidsp c-dsp 6x8 target

adam felson

Registered
I am running roomeqwizard (currently 5.20 beta39) for EQ on a minidsp c-dsp 6x8.
I see some minidsp specific targets like the c-dsp 8x12, and some more generic targets 'minidsp' and 'minidsp 96K', but not the c-dsp 6x8.
I am running my system @ 192k.

What exactly are the differences between the targets? Is the 'minidsp' target the one to use, or should I use 'minidsp 96K'?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The differences are the number of filters offered and the sample rate. To get correct filter coefficients you need to use an option with the same sample rate as your unit. The sample rate of the selected equaliser is shown in the header of the equaliser selection panel.

adam felson

Registered
Thanks. This begs the next question: what setting(s) should I use for 192K use on the C-DSP 6x8? The only place I saw a frequency setting was the soundcard sample rate in the preferences, but that seems to be independent of the EQ target setting.

I just noticed that the C-DSP 8x12 setting runs at 192k. Can I use that for 192k on the c-dsp 6x8?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks. This begs the next question: what setting(s) should I use for 192K use on the C-DSP 6x8? The only place I saw a frequency setting was the soundcard sample rate in the preferences, but that seems to be independent of the EQ target setting.
You can make measures at any convenient sample rate - if using a UMIK-1 it only operates at 48 kHz anyway.
I just noticed that the C-DSP 8x12 setting runs at 192k. Can I use that for 192k on the c-dsp 6x8?
Yes.

adam felson

Registered
You can make measures at any convenient sample rate - if using a UMIK-1 it only operates at 48 kHz anyway.
Yes.

It looks like using the c-dsp 8x12 eq profile is NOT a good idea.
1) the 8x12 has 12 parametric eq blocks while the 6x8 has 6.
2) the 6x8 operates at 48khz internally. Seems sending 192khz data is a waste.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When you said "runs at 192k" you meant it accepts data at that rate rather than using that rate for its filters, then? It is the internal operation rate that must be matched. You can deselect any extra filters so they won't be used.

adam felson

Registered
Yes, sorry about the my confusion. I didn't realize that even though the c-dsp 6x8 can receive data at 192khz, it does it's internal processing at 48khz. I wonder if I should reduce my s/pdiff data rate from 192khz to 48khz. For 44.1khz sources, does sending at 192khz (to be downsampled by the c-dsp to 48khz) make any sense?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is a sample rate converter at the front end of the unit that converts whatever rate it is sent to its internal rate, not really any point in converting the rate before it gets there.

Top Bottom