Minidsp 2x4HD

Abdulaziz

Hi all,
I have ordered Minidsp 2x4HD, but the problem is I have an external Dac which is topping dx3 pro dac. So, how can I connect it to the minidsp without losing sound quality.
What about this chain: PC- > DX3 → 2×4HD – > Amplifier.
If it is possible, please help me.
It would be appreciated
Thank you all.

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Hi Abdulaziz and welcome!

I'd agree that will work.
How it might change what you hear, or rather how you'd like it, is a guess. I've only used it for multiple sub integration so I don't have any "sound quality" experience with it. I do know it's used as an active crossover by some DIYers and the Linkwitz LXMini uses it that way so I'd expect it not to alter the sound in any way you'd notice.
@AudiocRaver is very familiar and built a set of LXMini's. Hopefully he'll see the thread and comment for you. He is wise in the ways of audio.
What will you be using it for?

Abdulaziz

Thank you jStewart:
I want to use it for 2.1, just for now. I am planning to buy two SVS Subs. Currently, I have B&W 803d2 and DB1 s1.

Last edited:

Andrew McBride

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
AVi S2000 /DSpeaker Digitial Room Correction Unit
Main Amp
Krell KSA50
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Theta Data Basic Transport
Front Speakers
KEF 103 Reference
Other Speakers or Equipment
Metrum Quad DAC
Hi Abdulaziz I have used the MiniDSP both to make a pair of existing Bi Wire speakers (Monitor Audio 11 Monitors) in to active speakers and also using the DIRAC Live plug is as a DSP filter for a pair of passive crossover speakers (Quad ESL57).

Originally on the active units I started out feeding the analogue output from my Pre Amp in to the MiniDSP and then used the four outs from that to my two stereo amplifiers (Upgraded Quad 405-1) and fron their direct to the MS speakers with each amplifier driving the bass and treble of just one speaker. This chain meant that my source (Digital Streamer ) had its digital output in to my Metrum Quattro DAC (NOS) then the DAC to the Pre and then from there to the MiniDSP . Once set up and filters applied using REW measurments and filter generation the results were excellent .

However I could see that the chain could be made much smaller with less circuits and components in the way and so I made a digital Toslink connection from my Streamer directly in to the MiniDSP and then used the MiniDSP for remote control of the volume. This worked better and though I would guess that the DAC in the Metrum is better than the one in the MiniDSP it does not matter as the active filtering made in the MiniDSP just makes the overall sound better than just improving the DAC.

I would however advise if you can afford to to consider adding the DIRAC Live add on as this takes the DSP abilities and the sound quality to a very different place and amkes a huge improvement for the speakers from their passive sound . It has also made my Quad ESL57 speakers sing and become much less difficult to place in the room .

The MiniDSP is a very powerful tool and can really extract much greater performance from a passive speaker , it is a learning curve but as it has the ability to make changes on the fly you can listen to and hear what your changes do to the sound quality in real time and be sure that any changes are a real improvement rather than just a difference .

Abdulaziz

So, is there any easy and effective way to use my external dac with Minidsp 2x4HD, or not?
I am sorry my English is not good enough to understand technical terms.
Thank you JStewart and Andrew for your efforts.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Yes, it will work as you first suggested.
This would be using the analog out of your DAC to the analog in of the 2x4HD.

You can also do PC => USB Cable => 2x4HD => Amplifier to have 1 less device in the chain and eliminate an analog to digital step from the 2x4HD.

Jose Sifontes

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-2400H
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Monitors
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Subwoofers
Rhythmik FV15HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Harbeth 30.1, VPI Aries TT
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD50
Screen
Elite Screens 100" (powered)
Remote Control
Several Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Rogue 99, Rogue ST-90, CI Audio D-200MkII
Abdul;

To come back to your original question: there is no way to overcome the miniDSP's resolution limitations that I am aware of. To take advantage of its functionality you have to place it in front of the DAC, which adds another A to D and D to A conversion at the miniDSP's resolution. That said, 96/24 internal processing is not too bad (it is definitely better than the basic miniDSP 2x4!). Wish I could tell you it is unnoticeable but at least to me, it is (the soundstage collapses/flattens a very tiny bit).

A way to keep your DAC at the last step before the amp is to do everything in the digital domain and skip the D to A step, using something like the nanoDIGI 2x8, but I have not tried it so can not vouch for its effectiveness.

Top Bottom