message error when calibrating impedance

oliver

hello John,
I do have this error message when calibrating the impedance measurement:

Schermata 2020-03-23 alle 11.03.32.png

I am on OSX 10.13.6, latest REW build release.
This error is dispalyed with every calibrating method.
Attached also all what inside the log folder.
Oliver.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 9

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi Oliver, there are two possible fixes:

- Use a shorter sweep for calibration
- Edit the .zma files in the logs folder and remove the lines with frequencies less than 0.15 Hz

I will work on a fix in the meantime.

oliver

Hi John,
thanks for the prompt reply.
I have deleted the preferences and done a clean install however.
just few small things.
I have performed a Reference cal, after that it is normal that the input impedance of the audio card has disappeared?
Schermata 2020-03-23 alle 11.56.20.png

On the impedance graph, the two zoom buttons could be moved? They cover the measurement and is quite hard to see the curve underneat
Schermata 2020-03-23 alle 11.59.27.png

It happened few times that REW freezed during an impedance measurement, the measurement bar was close to the end but then it stopped, and I had to forcefully close it.
Thank you.
Oliver

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have performed a Reference cal, after that it is normal that the input impedance of the audio card has disappeared?
Yes, that value is no longer used after a reference calibration, that is also mentioned in the help. Have you done the short circuit cal? Rleads should not be visible after the short circuit cal. The steps should be done in order, open circuit then short circuit then reference.

On the impedance graph, the two zoom buttons could be moved? They cover the measurement and is quite hard to see the curve underneat
The buttons only appear when the mouse is over the graph.

It happened few times that REW freezed during an impedance measurement, the measurement bar was close to the end but then it stopped, and I had to forcefully close it.
Can you attach the log files, please. What was the message above the progress bar when it stopped? How long did you wait?

oliver

Yes, that value is no longer used after a reference calibration, that is also mentioned in the help. Have you done the short circuit cal? Rleads should not be visible after the short circuit cal. The steps should be done in order, open circuit then short circuit then reference.

Hi John, yes, after the short circuit cal Rleads is no more present.
Attached the three cal steps.

The buttons only appear when the mouse is over the graph.

Yes, but if you try to follow the curve with the mouse to highlight any problem in those frequencies, it becomes difficult.

Can you attach the log files, please. What was the message above the progress bar when it stopped? How long did you wait?

I wait around 40 seconds, there was no message, the progress bar was just not moving and when I closed the "make a measurement" window REW become kind of shaded white and not responsive.

Here the logs, although I think the problem occurred before the reinstallation, so probably not present in this log.

I was also removing all the traces from an usaved file and had the java error attached.

Attachments

• impedance cal.mdat
    7.7 MB · Views: 2
  • logs.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 4
  • error.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 4

oliver

Hi John,
after performing all the calibration steps I have performed a measurement, and even if in the "make a measurement" window I can see the correct impedance curve as in this picture:
Schermata 2020-03-23 alle 15.33.39.png

I ended with a 4.7Ω straigth line as in the Reference cal step.
Attached the measurement file and the logs.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
  • wrong measure after calibration.mdat
    9.6 MB · Views: 5

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Your short circuit calibration looks like it was actually an open circuit calibration, did you short the test leads together?

oliver

Hi John,
sorry, my fault.
I have performed again the impedance cal, it seems now is correct.

Attachments

• good measure after impedance cal.mdat
    9.6 MB · Views: 6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The short circuit impedance looks very high, and has an odd kink at 10 kHz.

For the measurement it seems a little unusual that the impedance from 4k - 10k is below the LF impedance, is that expected?

oliver

Hi John,
I do have a tool box with switches in order to select the measure and the ampli according to what I am measuring.
I have bypassed the box and repeated the calibration without the tool box, only the minumum jig needed for impedance measurement.
Attached the result, that is around 1.6Ω. The small spike at 50Hz and 150Hz is due to a bit of noise in the electricity supply of my area.

Regarding the Impedance curve, that one is from a Balanced Armature micro driver that is quite inductive, so it is what expected.

Attachments

• new impedance cal.mdat
    7.7 MB · Views: 5
Top Bottom