Meet Epson's Latest King of Projection: The Pro Cinema LS12000 4K Pro-UHD Laser Projector

full?d=1645030567.png

(February 16, 2022) Epson's latest release continues a rich history of squeezing insane levels of performance from competitively priced designs. Yesterday, the company unveiled its new flagship projector model, the Pro Cinema LS12000 4K Pro-UHD Laser Projector. Priced at $4,999, the LS12000 utilizes a laser diode array light source that feeds 3 LCD imaging devices for red, green, and blue primaries. While not true 4K performance, Epson's employment of native 1080p imagers and a unique Precision Shift Glass Plate technology allow the projector to throw all 8.29-million pixels of a 4K frame on a screen, creating an effect that's entirely realistic and faithful to 4K source material.

Onboard compatibility for HDR10, HLG, and HDR10+ brings High Dynamic Range to the forefront, boosted by Epson's "real-time scene adaptive correction" and 2,700 lumens of light output. And, HDMI 2.1 support allows for 4K/120 performance and input lag times that fall below 20 ms, features that gamers will appreciate. To purchase the LS12000, visit Epson's online store, Magnolia, or a CEDIA Dealer. For more details, read Epson's full press release, below.

As demand for home entertainment continues to surge, Epson today introduced its most advanced home theater projector to date – the Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 4K PRO-UHD®1 Laser Projector. The Pro Cinema LS12000 redefines 4K theater-quality expectations for home theater viewing, faithfully reproducing all source material the way the artist intended. Incorporating an all-new Laser Array Light Source, next-generation image enhancement and processing algorithms, expanded HDR10+2 and HDMI 2.1 support, and real-time scene adaptive correction, the Pro Cinema LS12000 produces incredible brightness, color accuracy and image detail for stunning 4K viewing experiences and immersive gaming.

“Home theater enthusiasts have been asking what’s next, and we are proud to deliver our best Pro Cinema projector to date, producing a full 8.3 million pixels on screen with zero compromise in color and brightness,” said Rodrigo Catalan, group product manager, projectors, Epson. “Engineered with creators in mind, the Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 sets new technology benchmarks for 4K HDR viewing experiences. It’s truly a ‘must see it to believe it’ home theater experience.”

Driven by a proprietary Epson ZX Picture Processor and new precision shift glass plate technology, the Pro Cinema LS12000 delivers an exceptionally sharp and clear 4K picture with an astonishing 2,700 lumens of both color and white brightness.3 Additional features include:

• 4K PRO-UHD1 – Advanced pixel-shifting technology works in parallel with three individual high-definition LCD chips to produce an exceptionally sharp 4K picture without sacrificing picture brightness
  • Precision Shift Glass Plate Technology – Unique digitally controlled Precision Shift Glass Plate precisely refracts pixel-light to display a 3840 x 2160, 8.29-million-pixel image for an exceptionally sharp and clear 4K picture
  • Epson ZX Picture Processor – Our most advanced video processing technology to date, the proprietary 36-bit Epson ZX Picture Processor handles real-time color, contrast, HDR,2 frame interpolation and resolution enhancement to faithfully reproduce the source material the way it was intended to be shown
  • Laser Array Light Source – True multi-array laser diodes produce an ideal light source to power the unique 3-Chip 3LCD Projector Engine for quick turn-on, incredible picture brightness, black contrast and color accuracy
  • High Picture Brightness – Impressive 2,700 lumens of color and 2,700 lumens of white brightness3 for an exceptional picture in virtually any theater environment – even in rooms with ambient light
  • True 3-Chip 3LCD Projector Engine – Advanced 3LCD technology uses three individual LCD chips to continuously display 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame; this allows for outstanding color gamut while maintaining excellent brightness without any rainbowing or color brightness issues seen with other projection technologies
  • Impressive HDR – Full 10-bit HDR2 color processing accepting 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR, HDR10+ and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) content for an exceptional visual performance; real-time HDR curve adjustment allows for 16 steps of control to fine-tune the HDR performance regardless of the content
  • 120 Hz Refresh Rate – Refresh rates up to 120 Hz allow for smoother motion for supported content while providing the option for impressive Frame Interpolation for content below 120 Hz
  • Epic for Gaming – Gaming up to 4K at 120 frames per second, along with input lag times below 20 ms, allow for serious gamers to take full advantage of the latest generation of gaming consoles and even higher-end gaming PCs

Availability

The Epson Pro Cinema LS12000 4K PRO-UHD1 Laser Projector (MSRP $4,999) is now available through the Epson online store and Magnolia and CEDIA dealers. The projector includes ISF-certified calibration tools and Anamorphic lens option. The new projector come with Epson’s world-class warranty and support, including a standard three-year limited warranty with two-business-day full unit replacement, including free shipping, and free lifetime technical phone support.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I should have been more patient for you to post this Todd! I’ll delete my thread.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I should have been more patient for you to post this Todd! I’ll delete my thread.

You can keep it open and link to it! I'm just a few hours behind ;-)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Is this replacing the 5050UB range or are they bringing out a 5060UB?

Not sure, they haven't revealed any info on that front (to my knowledge). Steve @mechman, have you heard any rumblings?

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
This would be considered the replacement for the 6050. The 5050 replacement has not been announced in North America yet. Not sure when or if they will release it here. That model is the EH-LS11000W and you can see it here on Epson’s Europe site.

Some of the early reviews I’ve seen on the LS12000 have been very positive.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions

welldun

So is it safe to say that they are moving away from lamp projectors in this category?
I also have a question about the technology and cost of doing the E-Shift vs true 4K... is there a big cost difference (savings) for them to continue the E-Shift process? Wondering if overall, that process requires more parts and tweaking then just adapting true 4k would?

I have my 5040UB, which is working really well at the moment, so I plan on getting some more good years out of it. My previous one (Epson EMP-TW700) came directly from Japan and I had it running for close to 10 years. In fact, I still have it boxed up in the attic.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
So is it safe to say that they are moving away from lamp projectors in this category?

It does appear that way. I think most manufacturers have some sort of laser based projector out by now. And it makes sense that Laser based light sources are a better way forward as they last for quite some time. They estimate 20K hours or more which for me would be 10 bulb replacements at a cost of $3K for my 5050ub.

I also have a question about the technology and cost of doing the E-Shift vs true 4K... is there a big cost difference (savings) for them to continue the E-Shift process? Wondering if overall, that process requires more parts and tweaking then just adapting true 4k would?

This would be a question for someone more knowledgeable than myself. I’ve never gotten all that caught up in the e-shift/true 4K drama. As long as the source is good, the picture will be good from what I’ve seen.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Here’s a review with actual measures from a German site. You’ll have to use Google translate if you don’t speak German.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers