Measuring individual drivers and EQ them

Kermy

Registered
I'm setting up my 2 way system with a Minidsp DDRC-24. And somethings are not clear to me.

At first you measure the individual drivers on axis and near by, how near by do you recommend me to measure them?
The former without anything set in the DDRC, so no crossovers, no EQ.

The second question is, when you know where you want to cross the drivers you have a reference how wide you want to EQ them individually. From the crossover freq, how wide in octaves do you EQ the driver?

The third has something to do with the second question, when EQ is made to the drivers, do you EQ them flat, and how wide, or do you already use the housecurve you want to use in the end? For me the Harman curve is my objective, and it sounds illogical to do flat EQ when in the end you do DIrac and use a housecurve, so opinions are welcome.

After applying the crossover, the Dirac can make the final EQ of the complete system.

Love to hear from the experts here.

With kind regards,

Kermy

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I would not measure the individual drivers of the speaker or the complete speaker near-field, unless you are in a car, then there might be some benefit. In a home in your listening room, measure each full speaker from your primary listening position. I suppose if you built the speakers and are curious what the crossover points should be, you could measure them near-field, but that is usually determined in an anechoic chamber.

Dirac will take care of the EQ without any input from you. If you have a subwoofer, you can experiment with various crossover points depending on the capability of your main speakers. 80Hz is typically a good starting point, but if your mains can handle 40-50Hz, you might try 60Hz as a crossover point too.

You can also use the parametric EQ in the DDRC to take out any large peaks in your speakers before running Dirac, but it's not really necessary... simply let Dirac take care of it all for you.

Kermy

Registered
So, what you are saying is that Dirac is my silver bullet?

With kind regards,

Kermy

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Yes, I concur.
Just create a favorable XO and apply Dirac for EQ.

Assuming a typical 1" TW and 7" MW for home:
  • The XO can most easily be created using ~1 m mic measurements with mic on the listening axis.
  • The XO frequency should ideally be chosen so the TW is not strained at the low end and the MW is low enough that its dispersion is still very wide and 2 kHz is most common. It varies depending on the XO filters chosen.
  • An acoustical LR-24 is a good target for the XO filters. It gets very technical and unnecessary to worry too much about that however. Many acoustical XO shapes can provide favorable results given favorable delay timing.
  • The REW alignment tool can be used to determine the optimal XO delay timing.
Other driver choices may require different XO setups.

Kermy

Registered
The setup is 15" bass in reflex cabinet, on top Oris 250 horn with 8" AER neodymium driver. The bass driver and horn have quit some overlap in the region 250 to 600 Hz. I would like to cross them as low as possible, so, 300 Hz comes to mind. I even could get away with 6 dB filters.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
That's fine. The same XO concepts apply to that combination as well.

Most any XO can be made to work in a favorable way with appropriate delay timing. You could; fine tune the XO filters to approach a conventional target as an acoustical LR-24, chose settings recommended of others, pick a setting of you own, or complete the XO delay setup for several of these XOs to conduct listening evaluations. It's easy to recall different XO settings in most all DSP boxes and I assume your DSP is one of them. I change my XO settings occasionally just to experiment. That is the convenience of a DSP XO.

My personal thinking is to cross a little higher (400-500 Hz) as there may be some dispersion irregularity at the bottom end of the horn response and to choose XO filters to approach an acoustical LR-24 rolloff response. If you have directivity information for the horn and woofer those can be helpful in choosing the XO frequency. With this low frequency XO however these thoughts are probably over thinking the issue. I doubt this approach would make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

Top Bottom