measurement for surround mix room

Mishabou

Registered
Hi all,

I'm new to REW and have a few questions.

My mix room is equipped with PT Ultimate and Avid MTRX with Pro Mon. My REW rig is a portable Windows 10 laptop with the Roland Octapre soundcard. My monitors are JBL 708i for L-C-R and 705i for surrounds. Mics are Beyer MM1 with calibration files for 90 and 180 degrees position. I use 90 degree, mic is facing up (ceiling).

In order to have the Pink/Sweep from REW played on my monitors, i have:
- Output 5 from Octapre soundcard plugged into input 5 on MTRX
- In Protools, on a mono audio channel, i have input assigned to input 5 of MTRX and Output is set to each of the respective surround channel as i take my measurement (L-R-C-Lfe-Ls-Rs).

As recommended in the manual, Pink volume is set to 75dB via SPL meter.

I usually take 4 measurements (mic placed at 4 different locations in the mix room) per channel, so 24 total.

Will the set up above yield proper measurements ?

Does REW offer mutli microphones measurements ?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sounds good. REW doesn't yet have an option for simultaneous capture from multiple microphones.

Mishabou

Registered
Sounds good. REW doesn't yet have an option for simultaneous capture from multiple microphones.

Hi John,

Can you suggest the best way to correct the bump / dip between 60 and 80 hz shown on the pic. Red is my left and Green is my right speakers.

Attachments

• REW Pic.PNG
    REW Pic.PNG
    111.6 KB · Views: 19

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Changing speaker and listening positions is the first thing to explore, even rotating the whole setup to a different wall. Could also experiment with not running the front left/right full range to redirect to the sub instead. Beyond that would be treatment in the room, but a lot of treatment is needed to have much impact at 60 Hz.

Top Bottom