Measurement difference OSX vs Windows 10 home

MartF

Registered
I'm a REW newbie, but have had some success measuring my system using a mac mini. Recently I wanted to change to a windows laptop and cannot get the measure to show the sub 100Hz output as did the OSX system. My set up is simple - U-MIC and a USB out to my DAC. The two measures are shown below - I simply changed USB feeds into each computer, mic in same position, pre amp vol the same, note I have no av system components implementing a low pass crossover yet the Windows 10 output appears to be subjected to a steep roll off. I'm sure the answer is extremely obvious... but any advice or tips gratefully accepted.

Attachments

• rew osx v w10.jpg
    rew osx v w10.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 10

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Make sure the Windows laptop isn't set up for a sub, see this link for related info, you may need to configure your device as Stereo if it is somehow set as a 2.1 or surround device.

MartF

Registered
John, thanks for the quick response. I have gone through all the available settings and the problem persists. Here is a shot of the setup - as you see, the soundcard has no sub / other speaker options and I have set the output to 'full range'. I take it many users are able to use Windows 10 with the Realtek soundcard option? I could try reloading the Realtek software

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Strange stuff. If the laptop has a line input you could try looping the DAC output back to the line input to see how that measures, could also make a loopback measurement of the laptop's headphone output back to the laptop's line input. If you post the mdat file for the measurements I can see if anything else looks odd.

MartF

Registered
No line inputs only usb, hdmi and a headphone jack. Thought it might be worthwhile posting the info tags for the mac osx - which works (noting its an older version of REW) and the corresponding Windows measurement. It may well be something is very obviously wrong in my setting up of REW Preferences.

Attachments

• 1574175523933.png
    1574175523933.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

MartF

Registered
Here are the mdat files for the mac system then the Windows 10.

Attachments

• Nov 16 13_32_35.mdat
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Nov 16 13_54_09 pre vol 12.mdat
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The output is set to L+R, are you playing both speakers when measuring? If so, try measuring with one only. The Windows measurement shows the effect of quite a steep high pass filter, for comparison here is the Mac response after applying a 100 Hz LR6 high pass overlaid with the Windows measurement. If both speakers were playing I wonder if there is a polarity issue on one channel with the Windows setup.

overlay.jpg

MartF

Registered
Thank you for that work! I think it indicates clearly some imposed low pass filter operation. As the laptop was 2 weeks old the retailer agreed to change it! The Dell I did have had an app called Waves Maxxaudio which seems to be slated on the Dell forum - the HP laptop I now have does not have that so fingers crossed - better results when I re try.

Top Bottom