Linux Java Sound Problem

Ric49

Registered
I have not used REW for a while, so updated to the latest RC2 version. I now get no sound output. The Java stream input shows up in the pulse audio mixer but does not show any activity.

Java 8 is the default, and everything worked the last time I used it before updating.

Does anyone else have the same problem? It looks very similar to what happens when the headless version of Java is installed.

Ric49

Registered
Thank you for the response, John.

I tried an earlier version, which did not work either, so I re-installed the latest version, which immediately did work with the laptop's speakers. When I plugged in a USB sound card, which then became the default, it stopped working again.

After a reboot, I changed the output setting from Default to default(default), and it started working.

The problem seems to be with the way Java interfaces with Pulseaudio, which has not been a problem in the past. What is the difference between Default and default(default) output settings?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There isn't any difference, but selecting something prompts a fresh request to the OS for a line. It is better to select named devices than rely on a default.

AnalogBeforeDigital

Not sure if this is related - but the RC2 also does not recognize UMIK-1 on clean install.

It's an early version microphone - (7 plus years) - running fedora 32 - do you need any other mods installed (alsa/pulse/etc...)

Ric49

Registered
I get an error sometimes saying the UMIK1 is not accessible, but restarting REW cures it. I also found that REW asked for the location of the calibration file at every startup. That problem seems to be OK now.

Obiwan

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Quad 33
Main Amp
Quad 303
Additional Amp
Luxman L80
Computer Audio
Thinkpads, several older models
Front Speakers
SEAS 3W monitors, updated 70's classics
FWIW, I have the exact same behaviour on Debian Linux with a Umik-1. REW will first see the mike, ask if I want to use it and then abort. Second start will make it work just fine. As if the mike needs two polls to wake up.

Measuring impedance is a whole other matter, though. My Focusrite 6i6 does not show up as focusrite in the preferences menu, but REW recieves its input on second start. However, the measurements are all garbage, seemingly random spikes all over the place. Two experienced electronics-hackers (me and a friend) are certain the rig is connected exactly like the diagram on the REW-pages...

Just realized this is a two year old post. Sorry;-)
Regards and thanks for a magnificent program.

phofman

Often these problems are caused by pulseaudio taking over the alsa devices. The best way is to disable all measurement devices in pulseaudio to leave them available to other processes through alsa.

Top Bottom