REW Beta Release Level sweep feature request

Clayton Williamson

REW has excellent functionality in terms of setting a level and sweeping through a wide range of frequencies to determine and improve the behavior of the system. A valuable addition would be a level sweep, where the frequency is fixed and the output is swept through a wide range of levels. This can reveal a lot about the linearity of the system, and how gracefully (or not!) it handles large signals. Thanks for your consideration!

Clayton Williamson

When using the stepped level sweep, the distortion reads unexpectedly low. For example, with a -10dBFS 1kHz output, I measure this clearly distorted output from the device I am testing..
1673500650250.png

But, the THD reading is roughly 0.2%. The distortion values are dominated by the odd harmonics as expected, but this looks like 20%+ THD, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What are your distortion settings (particularly the distortion low pass setting) and how does that signal look on the RTA?

Clayton Williamson

Here are the distortion settings, which look reasonable to me.
1673676852667.png

Here is the spectrum, showing the artifacts of the heavy clipping, especially the odd order harmonics, yet a vanishingly small THD.
1673677201813.png

The input frequency to the device via REW generator is 1kHz, though the FFT peaks show 1.024k and multiples, which is odd and may be a factor in the odd readings.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That shift in frequency will be the reason for the low THD, since REW uses the generator frequency as the fundamental and looks for harmonics at its multiples. That's a very big frequency shift, far outside the tolerance of even the cheapest oscillators, so difficult to understand how it could occur. What is the whole signal path?

Clayton Williamson

OK, thanks. That makes sense. The signal is from a BTLE wireless device. The problem appears either in the LC3 codec or the ASRC -- I'm working to track that down now. Thanks for your insight!

Top Bottom