LEAP compatibility

gtimbers

Hello John, My name is Greg Timbers. I am a retired acoustic engineer (chief engineer with JBL for 43 years) and I have been using your program for many years now. I consider it to be one of the best acoustic measurement programs available. In the beginning, the export files from REW would directly import into LEAP for processing and crossover network design. Some number of years ago, you made a change to your export format and the files won't import any longer. My work around is to open the export in Excel, export as a .txt file, and then LEAP will import the data. I recently tried exporting from Excel as a CVS file and that also imports fine. I know you have alot on your plate, but I would think many or your users would be interested in having a direct export capability with LMS and LEAP, and as I mentioned, things used to work. Hopefully you can find the time to address this issue. If you would like, I can send a native REW file and one I have converted to CVS or .txt through Excel. I am sure it is something rather simple. Best Regards, Greg

Reactions: bmx

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi Greg, please attach the example files. Do you know what LEAP is expecting or what it doesn't like about the file?

gtimbers

Well, I screwed around with the files and I can't figure out why LEAP doesn't like your files. Loopback Native is a straight export of my loopback measurement. It is in Tab format. I tried comma and it wouldn't import either. I simply opened your export in Numbers (or excel) and then exported as Tab delimited Text. This file imports just fine as does a comma version. I then opened the files in a text editor and made my TSV file look exactly like the native REW file. The modified file works just fine. Opening the Native file in Test Editor and then saving it does not work. I have to use a program such as Excel or Numbers to launder the data. Hopefully you can find a difference in the files, because I sure can't. It is really easy to use Numbers to translate, much easier than Excel so I am in a good place. It is now becoming more of a challenge than an inconvenience. Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• Loopback Native.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Loopback TSV.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 14

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The TSV version has extra tabs at the end of the comment lines so that all lines have the same number of columns. Try removing the comment lines from the native file and see if it imports then.

gtimbers

I tried deleting everythng but the actual data (with column headings) and that does not work. Doing the same thing on a translated file does work.

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Another difference is that:
Native has a line feed at end of the data. TVS does not.

gtimbers

I just made my own file of 3 columns, tab separated, line feed after each line including the end. Called it .txt and also .rtf and it imports to LEAP just fine. CVS format works also, but not comma delimited from REW. I have lined the files up side by side and altered the new one to look just like REW. Still works, but REW doesn't. There must be some additional marker that I can't see with Text Edit somewhere in the file. Here are two files. Loopback N is a stripped file from REW. Loopback C is similarly stripped (as best as I can see) file run through Numbers (or Excel). C imports into LEAP and N does not. Interestingly, the file sizes are not the same but I don't know where or why.

Attachments

• Loopback C.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Loopback N.txt
    5 KB · Views: 14

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
As you pointed out, they are a different size.
C = 5394 Characters
N = 5155 Characters

That difference is because each line of C ends in a CR/LF and N only uses a CR.
CR = Carrage Return
LF = Line Feed

I am not really sure if I have this exactly correct, but C has both characters at the end and N only has one of them.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
I determined this by opening N in MSWord and resaving as a txt file. Word then offers the option of using CR/LF or CR only.

gtimbers

Very cool. Apparently Excel and Numbers both do this in their default mode. I haven't tried Word as a translator. I hope John can alter the .txt export format to include both CR/LF. REW can deal with either file but LEAP can't. Many years ago, the output format of REW did import to LEAP but somewhere along the way that stopped working. It didn't dawn on me to mention it at that time

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's a little odd, since the output on a Windows system already uses CRLF as the line separator. If I export the file on my Win10 system it has CRLF separators, but the loopback Native.txt file only has line feeds. Was it produced on a Windows system? Native windows or windows hosted on another OS? Separators are platform-dependent, would usually only see line feeds as the separator on older macOS systems (OS 9 and before).

gtimbers

I just altered Loopback N into 4 variations. By using the method you used, I saved N to have LF, CR, LF/CR and CR/LF. The LF version didn't work but the other 3 methods all import into LEAP just fine. All 4 variants work in REW. Looks like you found the issue. Thanks so much. Lets see if this is possible to program without hurting anything in REW. For now, I will just continue to use one of the translator programs.

gtimbers

I am using a late model Mac with current software and OS. LEAP, is of course, a windows program which will only run on Win XP. I use Parallels for my XP machine. It is disconnected from the internet. I also have Win 10 on Parallels. The Native file I provided was exported from a Mac system with your latest revision software. The file below, is that same file that has been processed by MS Office to include CR. It works perfectly on LEAP. Thanks again for your patience with me. I am not good with computers/programming, hence the MAC system.

Attachments

• Loopback Native_CR.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 11

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Unix, Linux and macOS use LF as the new line character, Windows uses the CRLF combination. I'll look at adding an option to force CRLF as the separator in exported data.

gtimbers

Awesome! That would solve my problem but don't worry about it should there be too many side effects. Of course, LF is the only one LEAP doesn't like. Figures! If CR is any easier, that would work also. Thanks again. Greg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have added an option in the next build to use CRLF as end of line when exporting measurements as text on macOS or Linux. The option won't appear on Windows systems as they use CRLF anyway.

Top Bottom