JTR Speakers Captivator 118 HT Review

Manufacturer & Model
JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT Subwoofer
MSRP
$1799
Link
http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-118ht.html
Highlights
30″ H x 20″ W x 22.5″ D, 129-pounds, bass reflex design, 18″ driver powered by a 1200 watts amplifier, full digital sound processor for a smooth response, massive output capabilities.
Summary
An amazing dual-purpose subwoofer, the Captivator 118HT can handle both movie and music duties with class. Its onboard LF Adjustment features allow for easy and effective room integration. The 118 HT is a fantastic performer out of the box and only improves with age. The sub's output is highlighted by low distortion and high dynamic range, laced with spectacular high fidelity characteristics that put it in a class of its own.

full?d=1502949367.jpg

Introduction
JTR Speakers is a recognized force in the high-end audio world, both in consumer and pro sound applications. Owner, Jeff Permanian, engineers and then builds powerhouse products that pull out the stops in their respective categories. Nothing JTR does is halfway. The company motto is "No Holds Barred Audio Design Philosophy," and they have a reputation for laying back the hair with massive dynamics while simultaneously making the arm hairs stand on end with musical excitement. The Captivator 118 HT is the latest example of this genre-busting performance, and happens to be JTR's least expensive subwoofer.

The 118 HT uses a nondescript, utilitarian cabinet. Weighing in at 129 lbs. and standing at 30 in. high, its size and appearance exudes brawn, purpose built like a pickup truck for work duty. The matte black lacquer paint lends itself well to the home theater environment and custom finishes are available upon request. A DSP massaged SpeakerPower ICE amplifier, JTR-proprietary Eminence-sourced driver and detachable power cord rounds out the package.

Features
18″ subwoofer drivers with 19 mm xmax (each way) and 60mm Xmech (peak to peak)
Ultra low moving mass (mms 253 grams)
High strength motor design (165.8 bl^2/re)
Custom treated/damped cone
Motor with 240oz magnets and 1/2″ thick steel
Bass Reflex Design tuned to 17hz
Heavily braced cabinet
Huge slot port for minimal turbulence and compression
Completely front firing for versatile installation
Magnetically attached grill
Built in 700 watt RMS, DSP optimized, class D amplifier
Amplifier features XLR and RCA connectors, 12v trigger, auto turn on, adjustable delay, low end, and low pass filter
Amplifier warranty increased to 3 years

full?d=1502950342.jpg

Evaluation Equipment
  • Emotiva XMC-1
  • Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
  • Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
  • Dayton SA1000
  • Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
  • Vapor Audio Sundog - L/R mains
  • Chane A2rx-c - Center
  • Chane A2rx-c - Surrounds
  • Chase Home Theater VS-18.1 x 2
  • Vizio E550VL
  • h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S

Installation
The 118 HT found its temporary home along my left wall, just in front of my left main speaker. I ran a single RCA cable to the SpeakerPower ICE amp's LFE jack, letting my pre/pro handle crossover/distance/level and room correction settings, with only minor tweaking needed from the amp controls. Delay was used via amp's variable phase control to compensate for the sub's forward positioning relative to the front mains. The LF Adjust knob allows one to digitally massage the sub's ported alignment of 24 dB/octave roll off into a more gentle 12 dB/octave slope, coupling with the room like a sealed subwoofer does. This flexibility is helpful for rooms that do not have a lot of natural gain and was key to integration as my space is a bit of a bass black hole. The level control was adjusted to match the mains, Room EQ Wizard measurements were used to ensure proper integration was achieved, then I was off to the races!

full?d=1502950342.jpg

Listening
Sade The Essential Sade
via TIDAL - "Hang On To Your Love," the rolling bass line that carries the song is delineated precisely, each string pluck and note up and down the scale is distinct from the other. A good song to start my auditioning, the 118 HT put me into the mood to hear more.

Gorillaz Demon Days via TIDAL - Following the segue from the first track, "Intro," the second track "Last Living Souls" has an infectious bass groove that counters the keyboard melody, together they carry the song along. The intense lows immediately set off the dish cabinet in my kitchen and a couple of house walls as well. I have lived here for over 9 years and have gone through the house dampening down extraneous noises over the years, thinking I have done a good job of it. I might have a bit more to do as this song reveals.

The title track, "Demon Days" is likely the best capture on this album. The seemingly "invisible" attribute of the JTR, which I will speak about more, underpins this song, actually enhancing the mids and highs (strings are a standout) as a good subwoofer will do. I do not hear a subwoofer, I hear music.

Hitting the sub HARD with Bassotronics via TIDAL, I cranked the volume on torture test, "Sub Bass Excursion". I feared for my mains but never found the limit to this sub. I also had concern for a nearby house plant as it started flapping its branches with the deep stuff found on "Bass I Love You"!

Deadmau5 while(1<2) via Tidal - The first song, "Avaritia," kept my attention riveted, the 118 HT motivating the EDM beat right along. This song often gives me goosebumps and that sensation was present and accounted for. The third song, "Ice Age (deadmau5 remix)," is something else, quite a treat. Enveloping 360 degree bass came from all around in the MLP and for many listening positions outside of that, making me bounce around the room checking the sound in other seats, all of which received a big dose of delicious bass. The 118 HT pressurized my medium-sized room with ease.

U2 "Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For" - I have listened to many old familiar pop songs I used to dislike, and found myself liking some of them better, having now having heard them on a high fidelity system. While I am not a huge U2 fan, I respect their work and enjoy some of it, especially the early efforts when I was in '80's high school, but the 118 HT shows that this song is not that well recorded as far as bass instruments are concerned. The bass guitar climbs up and down the scale but is rendered almost as a one note blur. There is hardly any bass drum impact to speak of. The highs are a bit above average, the SS&I is well above average, so this was a bit puzzling. This is no fault of the subwoofer at all and I credit the 118 HT for revealing the true nature of this recording as delivered through TIDAL. This lack of recorded bass articulation was not the case when "With Or Without You" (Remastered 2007) started to play. The bass guitar and every note played made itself known, especially around the 3:35 min. mark. Articulation is a strong point of this subwoofer, which shined a bright light on the foundation of this track.

Movies/Concert/TV
TV viewing has shown this subwoofer to be completely unobtrusive, calling attention to itself only when needed, adding surprising heft to casual network viewing, enhancing even the mundane audio experience of the Netflix documentaries that comprise most of my tele-time. Auto turn-on happens easy enough, but needs a bit more juice with casual Prime time TV viewing. When dialog dominated the scene, the lack of LF material sometimes caused the subwoofer to go into stand-by mode, causing me to miss that first bit of impact when it hit as the subwoofer kicked back on out of Standby mode. I spoke to Jeff about this and it is due to hitting the Energy Star ratings (a minor quibble) and the inherent high efficiency of the 18" driver (a major boon).

Hanna via Blu-ray - For those that have not seen this movie, Hanna lives a very isolated life in a forest, away from civilization and any experience with it. Shock and awe are induced when Hanna encounters her first airplane, the initial rumble of the plane's introduction as it apperars suddenly overhead grabbed my attention, too. A bit later into the movie, the escape scene audio track will have you tapping your toe, bobbing your head or whatever it is you do when the music hits you. The soundtrack is epic, with music that's clean and dynamic and a perfect match to the intelligent plot. The fight scene, after Hanna is captured and placed into a holding cell, really sealed the deal. The impact of the hits and kicks was sealed-like, the vented 118 HT response digging down low, the sustain long. The enclosure's low tuning alignment combined with the LF Adjustment control really come into play here. This movie is a subwoofer workout and the Captivator made one of my favorite movies fun.

Interstellar via Blu-ray - In Scene 17, when Cooper detaches into the singularity, my room began to shake and pulse. Sometimes I boost the subwoofer level a half decibel or more, so I dove for the pre/pro remote to check it. Nope, completely flat! This type of audible immersion and the subwoofer's iron-fisted grip on my room drew me into the moment, putting me right into the craft with Cooper. Or rather, my room became the craft!

Metallica Through The Never via Blu-ray - The other movies have serious bass content from time to time, but this concert film is a bassfest acid test, and will give any subwoofer system an extended workout. Lesser subwoofers can struggle with the onslaught, but the Captivator 118 HT just laughed it off, even when I decided to get crazy and boost the subwoofer level on my pre/pro by 3, 6 and even an insane 10 dB, just for fun! There is nothing wrong with a bit or a lot of bass boost fun, on occasion, if the sub is up to it. The Captivator 118 HT certainly was.

The undergound garage scene places our skateboarder rooting around in his van when James drives by in his '36 Ford custom, shooting bass-imbued flames. I ran that scene with the aforementioned flat, medium and high subwoofer levels, as I did with Robert's bass guitar warm up as our intrepid hero passes in the hall. I initially wanted to catch a few bass scenes for review impressions, but my neighbor heard my house shaking and stopped by, so I let the entire show play on. Impressed with what he called the best bass he had ever heard, the 118 HT literally hammered that home with the rooftop sledgehammer swings at show's end. My neighbor looked away from the screen (at me) and his jaw was on the floor. As Metallica fans, we enjoyed the epic sound quality of this show (in spite of the cheesy plot line) and the 118 HT was a huge player in making this a memorable event!

full?d=1502950342.jpg

Measurements utilizing Room EQ Wizard and miniDSP UMIK-1
The bottom traces are left/right (red and green) full range at the listening position with Dirac Live room correction. Top trace (turquoise), the microphone is nearfield, the Captivator 118 HT pulled into the middle of the room with Dirac turned off. Response is almost ruler flat from 17 Hz to the 70 Hz crossover, with the same 17 Hz extension as the listening position.

full?d=1502950342.jpg

Conclusion
The Cap may be labeled as a home theater subwoofer, but don't let that label fool you as it's quite the musical sub as well. A defining feature, one that sets it apart from most subwoofers, is the LF Adjustment. Dialing in the DSP curve to fit my particular room gain, or lack of it, was an important and extremely helpful tool for integrating the 118 HT successfully in my space. Break in took a while, although the 118 HT sounded fantastic right out of the gate. Its size is quite compact for a vent-tuned 18" sub and it did not take long for me to get used to its physical presence in my media/living room.

How does it sound? The Captivator 118 HT has no real sound, it just is. Low distortion high dynamic range bass is there when needed, but its physical location is completely invisible to the ear, whether it is just adding the foundation to regular program material or taking the lead role in a music or movie extravaganza with bass seeming to come from all around. It goes about its business of making your main speakers appear bigger and badder than they are by themselves. This is a sound that will perk the ears of the most jaded bass aficionado. The JTR Captivator 118 HT is a high fidelity statement piece in its class and a worthy addition to any serious media system. Delicate, yet forceful, a true iron fist in a velvet glove.

full?d=1497080930.png

Captivator 118 HT Specifications:
  • Frequency: +/- 3db 19-190hz (in room response below 17hz)
  • Amplifier: 700 watts RMS (ICE Power 700ASC module)
  • Dimensions (HxWxD): 30″ x 20″ x 22.5″ (HxWxD)
  • Weight: 129 lbs
  • Construction: 18mm, 13ply, void free, Baltic Birch (several times stronger and more expensive than MDF)
  • Exterior Finish: Matte Black Paint (custom finishes available)
  • Connectors: RCA and XLR
  • Warranty: 5 year Manufacturer defect

Last edited by a moderator:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Very well written and detailed. I suspect a lot of the older songs were poorly recorded and as such these high quality speakers can easily reveal those discrepancies to the listener.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Thank you, tripplej.

Yes, the 118 HT has tons of detail and let me know when the song did not, indeed!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Great review Dennis!

Sounds like this sub is a world-beater! It has the look, that's for sure!! Wow! Enjoyed the write-up!!

Last edited:

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Thank you, Todd. I enjoyed the 118 HT very much. My house loved it, too! :hsd:

:bigsmile:

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thank you for the review. Sounds like an incredible sub.
I am going to have to get the Metallica Into the Never and listen to it with my subs.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I think the notion of some music (no matter how much you "like" the music) sounding bad with great gear is an interesting topic. Probably worth its own thread.... I know exactly what you mean. Very disappointing to hear great music that's matched with poor sonics. Great gear can open that wound and pour salt in it!

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
Great review. It sounds like a kick *** subwoofer.

j_brow004

More  
denon avr x4100w
Main Amp
emotiva xpa 2 gen 2
Additional Amp
emotiva xpa 3 gen 2
lg network blu-ray disc player
Front Speakers
paradigm studio 100 v5
Center Channel Speaker
paradigm studio cc 690 v5
Surround Speakers
paradigm studio adp 590 v5
2) 2.1 h/k 3490, paradigm studio 60 v5, hsu uls mk
Video Display Device
lg 60 uhd 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
3}marantz sr5011, paradigm prestige 15b, svssb2000
Thank you for the review. I am curious where you placed the sub in your room and If the driver was placed facing your listening position?

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Thank you for the review. I am curious where you placed the sub in your room and If the driver was placed facing your listening position?

Hello!

The 118 HT was placed on the far left, in front of my left main. I tried the driver in many orientations and it worked well no matter what, but settled on facing it into the left wall.

That spot has always worked well for sub duty, orientation is the icing and it varies from sub to sub.

j_brow004

More  
denon avr x4100w
Main Amp
emotiva xpa 2 gen 2
Additional Amp
emotiva xpa 3 gen 2
lg network blu-ray disc player
Front Speakers
paradigm studio 100 v5
Center Channel Speaker
paradigm studio cc 690 v5
Surround Speakers
paradigm studio adp 590 v5
2) 2.1 h/k 3490, paradigm studio 60 v5, hsu uls mk
Video Display Device
lg 60 uhd 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
3}marantz sr5011, paradigm prestige 15b, svssb2000
Thanks again

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Dennis is your through the never the 3D one?

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Nice review Dennis... ship it on to me and I will clear it later with our giveaway winner. It looks like a beast, and from your review, it is apparently just that.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Thank you, all!

Sonnie, you are gonna have to get your own, buddy. There has to be an empty corner in your living room that is just begging for a mega sub, right? :T

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Oh c'mon Dennis... don't be that way man... I'm gonna quit lovin' you man!

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Ship it to me, ship it to me, I am the giveaway winner! :wave:

Dennis, I reread your review over the weekend, and it just got me more excited to have won such a high quality subwoofer. Funny you tested it with Sade, I have her "Best of Sade" CD and it is one of my favorites. I'll be using it to test out my Cap 118HT when it arrives. Can't wait to hear it.

Jack

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Jack1949,

Please let us know your impressions. I am super-picky and movies come second to music in my home. That is what impressed me most about the 118 HT. Having heard many JTR offerings, this one follows suit with Jeff's dedication to accuracy and low distortion. It is not just a one note home theater effort, it plays music without apology.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Hi Dennis,

Yep, I plan to start a thread to show pictures of the sub in my home and to give my impressions. Music is my main interest (2 ch, multichannel, SACD), that's why your review peaked my interest in the 118HT before I won the contest. Later after I found out I won, I reread your review and it just fueled the fires to hear this sub, so I'm trying to contain my excitement until it arrives and I can hear it myself. I can't say that I'm picky about music or that I consider myself an audiophile, I only know what I like...clean enveloping music without hearing the speakers producing it. That's one reason I love my Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon center with RAAL. From what I've gathered from your review, the 118HT is just what I'm looking for and will blend right in. I like my SVS SB13 Ultra, but it's in my walkout basement (on a concrete slab) in a 4500+ cu ft room (I remeasured after I posted in the contest thread), so its limits are being pushed to get the sound I want. That's why I've been considering upgrading to a ported sub (or two).

Jack

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Jack - we can't wait to see this sub in your home! :)

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Dennis is your through the never the 3D one?

OK, I just got a chance to look at this and no, it is not the 3D.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Hey, Jack1949,

My reference mains also have the RAAL 70-20 XR Amorphous Core. I absolutely love that ribbon, few tweeters can touch it and it is a great match for the Audio Technology C-Quenze 15H52 Woofer.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Couldn't agree more on the RAAL ribbon.

Jack

DrDyna

More  
MiniDSP 10x10 / Denon x6200W
Main Amp
MiniDSP PWR-ICE 250 / Carver AV-806x
Additional Amp
Behringer EP-2000 / NU4-6000 / 3000 DSP
Other Amp
Crest Pro 9200
Sony X800
Front Speakers
DIY Acoustic Elegance TD10m / Beyma TPL-200/h
Center Channel Speaker
DIYSG Fusion 15 for cinema LCR
Surround Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Surround Back Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Subwoofers
B&C 21SW152 single fold tapped horns
UM15-22 BR 17hz / TC Sounds Epic12 OD-ML-TL / SI18
Remote Control
Android device
Streaming Subscriptions
So much junk.
My next killer speaker will sport a RAAL 140-15D, hopefully it'll be a 2018 speaker, but my backlog is starting to bunch up :S

Top Bottom