javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException

HST

Registered
I've returned to using REW after a bit of a hiatus. I'm running v 5.18 on a Windows 10 system using a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic. All of a sudden, I am getting the following error message:

SEVERE: Exception trying to open record device
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Microphone (UMM-6) does not have any lines supporting PCM_SIGNED 48000.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian
javax.sound.sampled.LineUnavailableException: Microphone (UMM-6) does not have any lines supporting PCM_SIGNED 48000.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian

I'm unable to use REW as a result. Apparently, this is related to Java. So far, I've deleted and re-installed REW and installed the latest version of Java . None of this has helped.

How do I fix?

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Likely to be a Win 10 build 1803 Privacy settings issue, in which case go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone, and try flipping the toggle under "Allow apps to access your microphone" to On.

HST

Registered
That fixed the issue. Many thanks!

Note to others: you can toggle all of the individual MS apps to "off" and this still works as long as the main "allow apps to access mic" switch is set to "on."

Top Bottom