Java vs ASIO

tspacker

I recently added a PreSonus USB iTwo interface to my desktop system. I really like the quality but I am having a big problem when I try and run Java vs ASIO drivers. ASIO loop back measurements are ruler flat, but Java has lots of problems in frequency and phase/distortion. Any ideas why?
The reason I would like to use Java (and not ASIO) is so I can use the iTwo as the output and the Umik-1 as the input, which I can only do with JAVA, unless I am missing something.

I already updated JAVA to the latest, and updated the iTwo firmware to the latest, and updated to the latest Windows 10.

REW v5.20 Beta 61 (same thing happened on older versions)

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
8GB RAM
Intel Core i5

Attachments

• java vs asio_PreSonus iTwo USB.jpg
    java vs asio_PreSonus iTwo USB.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 34
  • java DISTORTION PreSonus iTwo USB_.jpg
    java DISTORTION PreSonus iTwo USB_.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 33
  • ASIO DISTORTION PreSonus iTwo USB_.jpg
    ASIO DISTORTION PreSonus iTwo USB_.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 30

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Might be some monitoring active, e.g. "Listen to this device" selected in the Windows audio properties for the iTwo inputs. The Java setting uses the WDM drivers so anything that is active for Windows will remain active, whereas ASIO bypasses the Windows processing. The mix knob on the iTwo needs to be all the way to Playback as well, but if it wasn't should see that in the ASIO result as well.

Edit: Also make sure the default sample rate in the Windows audio properties is the same as the sample rate in REW when using Java drivers, otherwise the OS will resample between the two rates.

tspacker

Thanks! Looks like the problem was fixed simply by selecting "disable all enhancements" in the Windows setup for sound devices.

Top Bottom