Issue with REW and ASIO4all or Soundcard

dannyboy100

Registered
As the title suggests I'm having some issues either with the soundcard or with ASIO4all.

I'm aware of the issues with REW Asio4all and Windows10 and I'm not sure if my problem is related to that or if it may have something to do with my soundcards drivers.

I'm able to connect and make measurements...both the umm-6 and Intel display audio show as active in the ASIO control panel in preferences. However, my outputs are a little messed up.

Basically, instead of being able to pick Audio Output 1.1.1 and have that only sound come out of that channel other channels are included. Usually 1.1.4 which is the sub channel for me. This happens on both my mains outputs. I have to turn the sub off when taking measurements of either channel. Which isn't a big deal. But other outputs are having similar issues. I can't play just the center channel(1.1.3), it always plays with one of my fronts. Which means I have to disconnect the fronts. Which is a bigger PITA. Then the sub has issues too...I get one reading when I'm choosing just the sub channel, always 6-9db higher than when I disconnect the mains and just let the sub play on either 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. Measuring the sub this way yields a lower output than measuring the sub channel alone.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to choose the corresponding output and not worry if I'm measuring another channel along with it.

Any ideas?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The LFE channel (4) has 10 dB gain applied by the processor, per the spec for LFE.

If the sub plays when you send signals to a main speaker the processor may be applying the bass management setting, if so you would need to set the speaker to Large/Full range to measure it alone.

If you get speakers other than the selected channel and the sub producing output there may be an issue with the HDMI cable length, there have been reports of sound coming from wrong channels when using a long cable.

dannyboy100

Registered
The LFE channel (4) has 10 dB gain applied by the processor, per the spec for LFE.

If the sub plays when you send signals to a main speaker the processor may be applying the bass management setting, if so you would need to set the speaker to Large/Full range to measure it alone.

If you get speakers other than the selected channel and the sub producing output there may be an issue with the HDMI cable length, there have been reports of sound coming from wrong channels when using a long cable.

Thanks for that.

Switching the mains to large got rid of the sub playing. However, the fronts played full range and I need the crossover engaged for the measurements I'm taking today. So it's no big deal turning the sub off. But I appreciate the information. I had no idea about the 10 dB gain applied. Thank you.

Regarding the center channel always being on. I was using a 6ft HDMI. I tried a 4 foot and no difference. How short are we talking to make a difference?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Should only become an issue at much greater lengths, must be something else at play there.

dannyboy100

Registered
Should only become an issue at much greater lengths, must be something else at play there.

Agreed.

I mean it's no big deal for individual speaker measurements. It's just a matter of disconnecting some banana plugs and flipping a switch on the sub.

I've gone through all possible settings on the AVR. I;m thinking it has to be related to the soundcard somehow.

Top Bottom