Installer issue with Linux REW 5.20.9

dcibel

Hello,
Today I tried updating REW to the latest version, and am being presented the following error:

Code:
./REW_linux_5_20_9.sh: line 318: cd: ../jre/bin: No such file or directory
Starting Installer ...
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Installer.java:43)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:84)
        at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher.start(UnixLauncher.java:69)
        at install4j.Installer2899577227.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Cannot find any provider supporting AES
        at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.InterProcessCommunication.<init>(InterProcessCommunication.java:51)
        at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.<init>(HelperCommunication.java:60)
        at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.<clinit>(HelperCommunication.java:31)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Cannot find any provider supporting AES
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.getInstance(Cipher.java:543)
        at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.InterProcessCommunication.<init>(InterProcessCommunication.java:48)
        ... 10 more

The first line in bold appears to be the culprit, it appears to be expecting java runtime files in a directory that doesn't exist. My previous version was 5.20 RC2, and previous versions I've installed over the past 5 years have not had this problem. What is the solution?

dcibel

Digging a bit deeper, I see in line 329 in the install script there appears to be a list of common JRE locations. On my computer (Manjaro), the java binaries appear to be located in /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/jre/bin which should be covered by the /usr/lib/jvm/* search location here.

I did also confirm that the older 5.20.RC2 installer still runs perfectly fine without error as well.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Since July last year the Linux installers have included an AMD64 runtime, which is used if the system doesn't have a suitable Java 8 runtime already (provided the architecture is AMD64). In that case the bundled runtime is placed in a folder called jre within the REW installation folder. The installer seems to be finding some local Java 8 runtime, otherwise it wouldn't be able to run, but clearly isn't happy with it. You could temporarily hide the local runtimes (e.g. by renaming the jvm folder in /usr/lib) to see if the installer then unpacks the bundled JRE.

dcibel

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Renaming /usr/lib/jvm folder so that the installer doesn't find it did work. It's a bit of a band-aid solution though, if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot so the next release includes a permanent fix I am happy to help.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Perhaps your Java 8 runtime is out of date? Some security-related features have expiry dates, updating the installation might be all that is needed.

dcibel

Manjaro is a rolling release that I always keep up to date. The jre package is "jre8-openjdk" version 8.332.u09-1, build date is April 22, 2022.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'll ask ej-technologies if they have any ideas what could cause the "Cannot find any provider supporting AES" error.

Top Bottom