Installation difficulties on Windows 10

defytheo

Registered
Tried the REW+Java bundle, I get a window with a loading bar, then nothing happens.
Tried a fresh Java 8 install (64bit), then the tried the last REW (non Java bundled). Same behaviour as above.
Lastly tried the latest RC14c install. Same behaviour as above.

I've attached the last error log.

I'm at a bit of an impasse. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• install4jError630728682325898916.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

defytheo

Registered
Wow, I have found the fix and it's a weird one!

stackoverflow. com/a/50536818

Basically run the clear type wizard through to the end and the installer works!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Bizarre, but well done for finding the fix! Supposedly fixed since Java 7 though, so seems like some sort of regression. I'll report it to the installer maker.

HDTVTHR_Nut

REW Startup Error
I have been using REW 5_20 RC12 without any issues. I installed REW x64 5_20_RC15 and now REW does not start up (briefly see the REW Program Logo). The REW Log has the following. (I have Oracle Java 8 update 301 installed). I did try uninstalling RC_15, downloading it again and reinstalling, that did not resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 29, 2021 9:17:43 AM roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard A
SEVERE: Error during startup java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\REW\jre\bin\awt.dll: Can't find dependent libraries
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\REW\jre\bin\awt.dll: Can't find dependent libraries
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1950)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1853)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:872)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1124)
at java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1636)
at java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1634)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1633)
at java.awt.Toolkit.<clinit>(Toolkit.java:1670)
at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Component.java:593)
at roomeqwizard.E.A(y:1894)
at roomeqwizard.E.<clinit>(y:3073)
at roomeqwizard.iF.<clinit>(y:1152)
at roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard.B(y:1775)
at roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard.main(y:97)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:84)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:94)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:25)

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Were you using an x64 build previously? You could try deleting the C:\Program Files\REW\jre folder to force use of the Oracle runtime, but the REW runtime would not usually be installed if there was already an x64 runtime on the system.

HDTVTHR_Nut

Hi John, I now have REW starting up after doing the following

- Deleted the REW RC_15's REW/JRE folder
- Started REW, it was not able to find a Java RTE
- Uninstalled Java 8 update 301, and reinstalled Java Update 291 (64 bit) that I had been using previously with RC12
- REW RC15 started up
- Just to clean things up, I uninstalled RC15 and I reinstalled it, REW did not create a REW/JRE folder as expected

For now I will stay with Java 8 update 291.

Thanks for you help and an amazing product.

Tim

I

sam_adams

If you are going to update a current installation of Java, the best way to do that is to use the update function from within the Java Control Panel. It will download the deltas for the Java installation and you should be good to go after the update. If you update by using an off-line installer you must uninstall all older versions of Java first otherwise you will end up with multiple instances of Java installed on your system.

Windows should handle the uninstallation of your current JRE if you are running a version later than Java 8 update 20. Prior installations may require that you use special uninstallation tools to remove the older versions of Java. A couple of uninstall tools are available:

JavaRa. No longer supported by Singular—it still works but you must run it with Administrator privileges.

Oracle has their own Java uninstaller. Instructions are availble on how to uninstall Java for MacOS and LInux on the linked page.

Java JREs may be downloaded from this site, also. There is a link to older versions on the linked page if you need them for testing.

HDTVTHR_Nut

John & Sam
FYI, I'm using Windows 10. Thanks for the tip on using the Java Control Panel to check for updates, download & install. I had downloaded the latest Java 8 with Update 301 directly from the Oracle Website, something must have gone a rye.....

I have a second Windows 10 Lap Top that I run REW & Java on,, I used the Java Control Panel to go from 291 to 301 it completed the update, then I updated REW from RC12 to RC15 and all was is good.

Thanks for assistance

Last edited:
Top Bottom