Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Infinity Train: Book Two

Movie: :4stars:
Video: :3.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

Movie

One of the more enjoyable features of being a reviewer like I am is the random discs that you receive from studios that you wouldn’t have normally reviewed. Something which can lead to some seriously bad review sessions, or in the case of Infinity Train, open you up to new adventures that are totally worth the surprise. I opened up the package from Warner this last week and realized that I hadn’t actually heard of this animated show before and that this was the second volume (or season, being that each 120 ish minute season is called “books”, much like Avatar: The Last Airbender) out. Meaning I had some catching up to do. Luckily for me, HBOMax has all 4 Books (seasons) out, meaning I could binge watch Book One before heading on to the review.

A little back story here. The showrunners of Infinity Train as the same people behind the insanity known as The Regular Show, so I was expecting something a little more crazy and zany than what we have here. The story revolves around a young girl named Tulip (Ashley Johnson, who will always be Patterson from BlindSpot for me) dealing with her parents divorce and desiring to be a game designer. She’s feeling abandoned by both parental figures (as she says, there are two of them, and only one of her, so why can’t they make time for her?) and decides to run away from home in order to reach Game Design camp. Boarding a train with her destination in mind, she finds herself on a LITERAL infinity train, one that never really ends. Each car is connected to a different universe, with each one having it’s own adventures and problems.

Season two deviates from the first season by following what is known as “mirror Tulip” (a sliver of the infinity mirror that has gained it’s own personality on the train) instead of Tulip, which shifts the entire focus and point of the show. Unlike Tulip she has no number on her hand (something you’ll learn about in season 1), and is thus not considered a passenger on the train. In fact, she considered less than a passenger by the Mirror Police and train’s controller. Much like Tulip, Mirror Tulip (still voiced by Ashley Johnson) embarks on a set of adventures through the various infinity realms on the train, accumulating some travel companions in the form of Alan Dracula and Jesse Cosay (Robbie Daymon). Her constant attempts to get off the train is hampered by the constant drag of the Mirror Police, but also by her own bitter attitude towards her predicament. It’s strange situation, but a situation that allows the show runners to deviate from Tulip and tell stories that otherwise wouldn’t be possible.

The season is rather interesting, and something that more shows really should take advantage of. By that I mean deviating from a single set of main characters, and telling the same “story” as told by a different character, and through a different point of view. It allows for more flexibility and character development, especially when doing so with the “main” characters would cause audiences to revolt due to loving how a particular character is presented changing on them. While we do run into some characters from Book One (Glad-One, Sad-One, The Cat etc), this is a whole new story with a whole new perspective, while still trying to stay on the infinity train’s multiple universe theory.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :3.5stars:
The series is only 114 minutes long, so the series fits on one DVD-9 and rightfully so. The 480p show isn’t given a massively intricate animation style, but it is very colorful and bright depending on the car that Mirror Tulip visits. Animation style is solid enough as it is, with good lines and no major problems in the art design. ON my 85 inch TV the show does show it’s weaknesses though, with the resolution being a bit stretched thin, and some minor mpeg2 artifacting. The one “major” issues that I did notice was that haloing was rampant throughout the show. Just watch the characters themselves, bit halos surround every portion of their bodies, and sometimes background objects as well. It got a bit distracting, but luckily it was the only major issue I could find.

Audio: :4stars:
A budget cartoon for The Cartoon Network, Infinity Train doesn’t have a massive 5.1 track. Instead it’s a basic 2.0 stereo mix. A mix that is actually pretty stinking good I might add. It’s got great dialog representation, with a rather loud mix that takes advantage of the click clacking of the train itself, as well as the score. There’s not a whole lot of major panning effects, and the lack of surround material means it doesn’t really sound incredibly immersive, but it’s a solid stereo track that doesn’t have any major flaws.

Extras: :3stars:
• Commentaries on Each episode
• Art Galleries
• "Animatics"

Final Score: :3.5stars:

The show is solid and with only 11 minute episodes, it goes by really quickly. Breezy, idyllic and rather fun, Infinity Train is a nice step towards sanity from Owen Dennis’s other shows. The DVD set is well setup with good extras (the commentaries are actually really fun to listen to, unlike many a commentary), and the video and audio quality are impressive. Fun show, surprisingly engaging, and something I’ll definitely be watching for the 3rd and 4th season in the next few days. Fun watch is my recommendation.

Technical Specifications:

Starring Ashley Johnson, Owen Dennis, Jeremy Crutchley, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Kyle McCarley
Created by: Owen Dennis
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 MPEG2
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Steroe
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: NR
Runtime: 114 Minutes
DVD Release Date: May 25th 2021

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Never heard of this one but after reading the review, I am curious to check it out. Thanks.

Top Bottom