impulse response vs eq settings for correction playback

skywind7

Registered
I noticed there is a option for exporting the corrected filters as a impulse response, is it a effective way to play back with correction as to using the EQ settings, I find the eq settings to be kind of time consuming plus I tested the differences and the impulse file does give me about the same frequency response as the eq settings into a audio plugin. which is better, I want to just use the impulse response but im not sure if its a good idea, I dont know I guess I never done this before for correction playback not sure if there is any drawbacks or issues it can cause etc. I also saw a minimum phase option, not sure which is best to use either way.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The filter impulse response can be used in a convolution engine, it needs to be generated at all the sample rates you plan to use. That approach may add latency depending on how the convolution is set up.

skywind7

Registered
Is there a settings that produces the best results, some of these impulses plugins have various settings I’m not sure if a setting that makes the use more reliable like length, pre delay, crossfeed etc

Attachments

• DC889D26-3D0C-48AE-BAF4-91EA7AC6A33C.png
    DC889D26-3D0C-48AE-BAF4-91EA7AC6A33C.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 15

skywind7

Registered
Also I noticed that I need to have two files for stereo plugin on some of these types of plugins, I’m thinking I should make measurements of both speakers then maybe correct them individually to the target. I’m not sure if it’s best to use two mono signals for both left and right

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I haven't used any convolution plugins so can't comment on how they should be configured. At low frequencies corrections should be individual to each speaker. If you apply corrections above a few hundred Hz they should probably be the same for each speaker.

Top Bottom