If you ever wanted to hear microphone placement effects in recording...new Chesky Record

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
This is a pretty neat album recorded by the famous Chesky Records label.

"Pianist, composer, producer, arranger, co-founder of Chesky Records, co-founder and CEO of HDtracks, David Chesky has created a one of a kind "album" demonstrating the impact of microphones, and microphone placement, on a recording. Blumlein, mono, stereo, omni, ribbon, wide, close, etc..."

https://www.hdtracks.com/dr-chesky-s-stereophonic-recording-microphone-techniques-976291

I know, it's not a freebie, so you do have to pay for the digital download; available in 16/44.1 to 24/192. It seems like a worthwhile investment to those fascinated by
hearing how instrument sounds can change just by differences in its recording devices and placement of them.

There's a 25% off discount from the Audiophile Style article which was the source for all this info.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/what-does-it-actually-sound-like-r896/

Mike-48

Thanks for the post, Grayson! I downloaded it and will give a listen when I have a little time and patience.

In general, I can't think of anything worse than listening to test-disc music, unless it's hearing to the same piece over and over and over. But since mic position is so important to what we hear, I'm making an effort with this one -- it seems like a fascinating idea that will help me understand what's on various recordings.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the album, Mike! : )

Mike-48

When I listened to a little of it the other night, I liked the sound of wide-spaced omnis better than Blumlein. The sensation of space (at least in this recording) seemed more open, and the bass more realistic and well defined. I don't know if that's generalizable or reflects the particular room and ensemble (or my stereo system).

There is a pair of tracks comparing a tube preamp (Chesky's standard, I think) to a solid-state one. I didn't hear a huge difference, but I preferred the solid-state one. I thought it was slightly less colored, and I do mean slightly.

When I can stand listening to "Wayfaring Stranger" a few more times, I might have more to say.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Great notes, Mike. I think it's interesting how you liked the the solid-state preamp's sound signature over the tubed preamp. Could the coloration of the tubed preamp be described as leaner or more warm? maybe something different sounding all together? I'd like to know your thoughts.

I recently purchased a SMSL headphone amp that's solid-state to replace my aged tube-hybrid amp. I found the solid state SMSL to be better sounding in all aspects; less distortion, cleaner and deeper bass, more resolving, etc...

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers