How to set a chromecast as output device for REW?

MediumRare

I have a multiroom setup with a chromecast device feeding the amplifier for each room. I tried setting the "Cast Desktop" option but I get a "device not supported" message, casting from a tab or a file is no problem. Output via USB is no problem - but I can't do that for three of the four rooms.

How can I set a chromecast as output device for REW?

Eric SVL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
Other Speakers or Equipment
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
I suspect there is a setup issue here. Reason being if you are needing to cast to other systems, you are too far away to also have the mic in that room to measure. If your measurement setup is in the same room, connect via physical cable.

EarlK

I believe that John could add the "Casting" ability into REW.

Though I believe that means he would have to use ChromeCasts' SDK developer kit and turn REW into a "Client".

Getting that developers kit could involve money exchanging hands ( licensing fees ) therefore this new feature would need to be exclusive to REWs Pro ( paid ) version .

OTOH, JRiver seems interested in adding this casting capability ( eventually ) to it's Media Player. Since JRiver has an ASIO driver for their player ( if + when JRiver adds casting ) one should be able to run REW into the JRiver "device" and then cast from there. .

:)

Last edited:

EarlK

After a bit more research I think there's an easy way to get this done ( ChromeCasting REW into multiple rooms while using ones LapTop > broadcasting wirelessly into the ChromeCast devices ).

Simply ( from within REW ) save a Test Sweep to file and then playback that test sweep using a media player with "casting" capability.

Test File _2021-01-01 072830.png

VLC ( media player ) is one such player that can "cast".

One uses the REW "Playback" from File feature when initiating a measurement.

REW_MeasurementFile_2021-01-01 073849.png

Last edited:

Eric SVL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
Other Speakers or Equipment
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
@EarlK how does it do the timing reference?

EarlK

@EarlK how does it do the timing reference?

Hi Eric,

I've replaced my original screen-shots with more accurate ones ( these newer ones do better telegraph the story ).

SO:

One MUST have REW save a test sweep which includes a Timing Reference ( HF chirp ) .

One opens that file ( the test sweep ) with a media player ( that's setup for casting > I haven't done the casting part yet > but may buy a ChromeCast dongle to finish up on this proof of concept ) .
- One does not play this test file yet.

Within REW ( in the measurement window ) playback From File is chosen.
- The same test file is opened in REW ( dragging and dropping works well here ).
- "Start" measurement is chosen and then REW will play the test file up to point where the Timing Chirp is and then stop and wait ( which is what my new pic shows ).

This is the point where one goes back to the Media Player and then plays the test file.

Assuming the Timing chirp is loud enough ( that chirp level does have an adjustment ) REW will then get triggered out of "waiting" and then continue playing its own copy of the test file ( as the Media Players test file copy also continues to play ) .

The data captured by REW looks ( to my eyes ) to be relevant > though "distance" timings will definitely be nonsensical ( since what seems to be happening is the timing reference is used to brute force align two "freewheeling" playback files ).

It's worked here a handful of times now ( though with a test mic only 8" away from a speaker ).

I sort of doubt that REW was ever meant to be used this way.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When using file playback REW doesn't play back anything. It uses the file to know what it should expect, the file contains information about the sweep settings.

EarlK

When using file playback REW doesn't play back anything. It uses the file to know what it should expect, the file contains information about the sweep settings.

Thanks for that John.

I don't know if the following question is relevant but I'll ask anyway;

How are the individual parts of the two files re-aligned for comparative purposes ( bins is it ?? ) if RF broadcast drops a sample or two ?

.:)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not sure I understand the question, but if the method used to play back the file involves losing samples here and there it is not fit for much.

Top Bottom