How to calibrate surround speakers??

Seregon72

Anyone know how I can measure and calibrate my side and rear speakers using REW? I've tried ASIO, but the calibrated files won't apply to the Equalizer APO program. No difference in sound output.

Rich Z

Registered
I am interested in this question also, so reviving this thread. I just cannot get the ASIO driver to work at all.

I am using ASIO4ALL v2. I have that selected as the ASIO Device. Output can be any of the offered 8 outputs, with NO results audible from the speakers.

Input selections only show HD Audio Mic Input 1 or 2 with no option to select UMIK-1.

I am trying to test the speakers on my desktop PC which is pumping audio into a Sony receiver via an optical cable using the Realtek Digital Audio driver on the PC. Check levels produces no sound from the speakers. And nothing trying to use the Measure screen, It THINKS it is sending out audio, apparently, but my ears beg to differ. I figure this will be easier to test this in my den than setting up everything on my home theater system in the family room.

Works fine using the Java driver, but nada using the ASIO driver. I'm sure there is just a setting I am overlooking that is set incorrectly, but so far my "hunt and peck" method of trying them is not helping.

Any help to be had with this problem?

Rich Z

Registered
Ah well. That is on AVSForum. I know I have an account there from years ago, and tried to reset my password, but every thing I entered for a new password I just get a rejection saying "Please enter a valid password" without giving me a clue as to what would make it valid. I had a run-in with one of their moderators a long while back with extremely solid skull shielding to ward off thoughts contrary to his half baked assumptions before, so I guess he took over their front end user interface programming duties too. BTW, perhaps it is just me, but don't they allow just casual viewers there any longer without having to register and log in?

So, in a nutshell, I guess if my answer is on AVSForum, then my question will remain unanswered.

Anyway, fyi, it looks like ASIO might work on my laptop, but I haven't tried it with the HDMI cable hooked up to my Denon receiver yet. On the laptop itself the two outputs simply select either the left or the right speaker. Seeking the frequency response of those laptop speakers is interesting in it's own right, I guess. Maybe tomorrow I will find the time to try the laptop on my home theater system again. But I wish there was a way to select ALL of the speakers together so I could get an image that way of what is going on in the room in the way of frequency interactions. Or perhaps there is if everything is working correctly in the setup?

Thanks anyway.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350

Rich Z

Registered
Ah, thank you! I was able to get onto AVSForum without logging in, but hadn't found what I was looking for yet. Your link to the .PDF file helps a lot.

Top Bottom