How should I use the room simulation in REW with a barn shaped room?

welldun

Good day all,

I'd like to use the room simulation portion of REW to calculate the room modes and figure out the best position for my seats, subs, and speakers. The issue I have is that it appears as if the simulation design accounts for a flat ceiling which, unfortunately, I do not have. My HT does not have a completely flat ceiling due to the fact that it is located in an upstairs room of a Cape Cod style house. I've attached pictures to help with the visuals. The overall length of the room is 18' 01", the width of the room is 13' 01" (not including the dormer window extension which is 2' 07" deep), and the height at the horizontal/flat portion of the ceiling is 7' 04", but it is flanked left and right by angled portions of the ceiling which angle down and meet the walls at 4' 04" wall height. To make matters worse, the room also has a "dormer window", which creates a 4' 11" break on one of the walls as you can see in the picture.

So my question is, how should I use the room simulation based on my actual room design?
View of the Front of HT.jpg
View of the back of HT.jpg
View of the Dormer Window of HT.jpg

View of the Front of HT.jpg View of the back of HT.jpg View of the Dormer Window of HT.jpg

toandef

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
RME ADI-2 FS DAC
Main Amp
Peachtree Nova 300
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro M1
Front Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2
Subwoofers
REL T7/x
Streaming Equipment
Raspberry Pi 4 with Allo DigiOne
Streaming Subscriptions
Roon, Tidal, Amazon HD
Crickets . . . I have a similar situation whereby my ceiling slopes at the same angle as my roof (30-deg or so). I think taking an average height might be the simplest, albeit least appropriate solution.

mladia

Registered
interested as well. my ceiling slopes to one side. at the lowest point it is 7.5 feet and 10.5 feet at the highest. 12.5 feet length x 29 feet width room

welldun

Yeah, most of the info that is usually available deals with rectangular rooms, so we're on our own when it comes to figuring this out. Having said that, I've since made good use of REW and and MSO to dial the room. In short, I have added a total of 4 subs to the system (7.4.4) which are all corner loaded. I use MSO and a MiniDsp 2x4 HD to get all of the subs playing together nicely so they act like a large sub so that the AVR thinks there is only one sub woofer. After getting the subs dialed in. I then use the Auto-Calibration (MCACC PRO) from my AVR to integrate the subs with the mains. The last step in the process is using the new Alignment Tool feature in REW which allows you to take your measurements for the mains and sub and phase align them. Basically what this does is give you correct subwoofer distance(delay) to plug into the AVR so that everything is well aligned.

Top Bottom