Home theater control suggestions

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
NEEO is both IR and WiFi, and can also do CEC via HDMI for certain devices.

I initially had the base in the back of my room, on top of the rack. It worked on everything except my projector. I'm not sure why the NEEO signal would not bounce off the screen back at the projector like the actual projector remote does, but it didn't. I moved the base to the front of the room and it hits everything now, without fail.

It comes with an IR repeater which I could've run, but I have an outlet right by the current location, so it was a better option to move the (attractive) base next to that outlet instead of running a repeater out front of the projector.

Yeah that's an impressive remote. I contacted them for a review sample but no response. It looks very well made.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Yeah that's an impressive remote. I contacted them for a review sample but no response. It looks very well made.

The build quality is remarkable. It's a solid piece. I would suggest contacting Rafael directly. He's a nice guy (met him at CEDIA a couple years ago), and seems as if he would be pretty accommodating.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
I'll echo Matthew's experience with the Harmony. Simple to set up/operate and reliable for the 3-4 years I've owned it. It is used daily. Occasionally will not turn off the TV but I'm pretty certain it's an issue with the TV as everything else works consistently within the macros. It's also quite easy to add devices and adjust macros if you swap out equipment. My wife has zero tolerance for remote systems that are even slightly confusing and she doesn't seem to mind the Harmony. A lot of it has to do with setup too though.

I've done hidden/remote equipment racks in several of my own and friends systems. I always run a hard line to any devices that have a direct IR input, and then as few blasters as I can get away with for the rest. Something like the Harmony or other remotes that have a "hub" of sorts makes this a bit easier too as they usually turn an RF signal from the remote itself to IR outputs that can be sent through a repeater depending on how many devices/areas you want to control. I'm a HUGE fan of a completely hidden installation and it's really not too difficult to achieve without losing any remote functionality.

I'm glad to see some feedback from a NEEO owner. I was very intrigued when the system was announced but it seemed to be a while before it was actually available (maybe between Kickstarter and launch phase) so I more or less moved on. Have you found any limitations thus far? Might have to check this out for my HT. That is if I ever get around to setting it up. Mostly I just tell people how great it's going to be someday.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
The setup on NEEO was dead simple, customization is much simpler than Harmony.

There were some bugs/limitations right out of the gate, but they’ve mostly been addressed.

I’ve made one request that I’m hoping they can address, but it’s not a big, it’s a feature request. I’d love to be able to attach a “lights off” command to the PLAY buttons and a “lights on” command to PAUSE/STOP. I could create a full recipe, but that would be more awkward. I have just added lighting and HVAC controls to the custom screens for my source devices and it’s pretty simple to do, but that single press functionality would be cool, I think.

I got in on the Kickstarter. It was definitely delayed, but worth the wait, IMHO. I don’t know if it would be on my list at full retail though. $219 was an amazing price for it on Kickstarter tho.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
The build quality is remarkable. It's a solid piece. I would suggest contacting Rafael directly. He's a nice guy (met him at CEDIA a couple years ago), and seems as if he would be pretty accommodating.

Can you PM his direct contact information if you have it? I couldn’t find it.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
My hesitation with using a programmable remote device is that my system changes so much so often that I would always be reprogramming it.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
My hesitation with using a programmable remote device is that my system changes so much so often that I would always be reprogramming it.

“Programming” with a NEEO is a pretty big stretch. It has been very simple to swap out or add devices to its recipes.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
“Programming” with a NEEO is a pretty big stretch. It has been very simple to swap out or add devices to its recipes.

That has been my experience with the Logitech too. It’s done via an app and takes a few minutes.

I’m still figuring it out but I believe it too is a IP and Ir hybrid approach. The hub is a brain and it can connect to other IP based controls such as Alexa or smart home decides. It doesn’t seem as comprehensive as NEEO.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Probably just need to jump in the deep end and try it out. I too have about six remotes in use at any given time. It does get a little cumbersome.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Probably just need to jump in the deep end and try it out. I too have about six remotes in use at any given time. It does get a little cumbersome.

I’m the same. You will love life a lot more once you jump in. It’s silly easy.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I used to use Girder...worked pretty nice, but it did have a learning curve. Now I use what used to be $200 software...the level I have is in the $$$$ now. There are other brands out there that you can get that are pretty nice too. Most of them you use your tablet or phone with graphics they have or that you make. It is like using Crestron or AMX. I am currently working on getting my graphics together like I had 8 years ago when I stopped using the software due to too many projects, and now I have time to bring it up to the latest version of the software. I do not have my old setup going so I now have to start withthe newer software which has change tremendously since I was active.

Here is a link to so e of my old templates so you can see what you can do with software based control...IR, RS232, and IP.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?tid=2266&pid=52569

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I used to use Girder...worked pretty nice, but it did have a learning curve. Now I use what used to be $200 software...the level I have is in the $$$$ now. There are other brands out there that you can get that are pretty nice too. Most of them you use your tablet or phone with graphics they have or that you make. It is like using Crestron or AMX. I am currently working on getting my graphics together like I had 8 years ago when I stopped using the software due to too many projects, and now I have time to bring it up to the latest version of the software. I do not have my old setup going so I now have to start withthe newer software which has change tremendously since I was active.

Here is a link to so e of my old templates so you can see what you can do with software based control...IR, RS232, and IP.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?tid=2266&pid=52569

This is probably more than I could take on for the review article. I was originally looking for some options that would be easy to setup and use, appeal to other forum folks, and meet my needs. I thought about this approach but walked away concerned with the level of involvement.

If I can get ahold of some of the IP->ir and rs232 modules I might do a separate write up on what is possible in the more DIY realm.

The two systems I have lined up are pretty capable for most users. Both are a mix of IR and IP control and can work with a huge range of products, including smart home devices. The NEEO seems to be the more advanced and nicer of the two systems at first blush. The Logitech is surprisingly potent, certainly not your fathers harmony. This new software and hub can do quite a bit.

More  
Denon 4520
Main Amp
Sunfire signature grand 5x425
Additional Amp
Emotiva A-300
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
Klipsch RF-7
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RC-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RF-62 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RW-5800
Subwoofers
Svs PB-13. Svs PC-13
Other Speakers or Equipment
Elac B-6
Video Display Device
LG B7 OLED
Screen
Vapex 106”
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Subscriptions
Jvc rs 45 projector
I have a Simple Control setup running on my phone and iPad. It takes a lot of different equipment to get it to do everything I wanted but it offers two way communication for components with RS232 inputs. “When” it all works it’s magical. It relies heavily on your Wifi reliability and patience. I have now switched over to a Harmony Elite. The Harmony is not perfect either but I love the physical buttons and the WAF is better.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Good point. The AVR... yes. Blu-ray...no. Although, I have a Panasonic UB820 incoming, and that might have app control (not sure).

Very interested in your comments and findings for the Panasonic UB820. I am heavily considering it for my 4K home theater upgrade which I hopefully will do sometime in 2019.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I have been using harmony remotes for years, I currently use the harmony hub that comes with the companion remote in the home theater. I also have Alexa tied in which has a Lutron app. The hub does tend too have a delay as it goes through the macros. The tablet and phone app are handy too control it also.

Top Bottom