HIFIMAN’s New HE400se Planar Magnetic Headphone Costs $149

full?d=1614958158.jpg

(March 5, 2021) HIFIMAN’s iconic lineup of headphone gear is loaded with models that require deep pockets, headlined by the $6,000 Susvara planar open back. Previously, its most wallet-friendly model (US market) was occupied by the $219 Diva Wired, a planar magnetic headphone that employs HIFIMAN’s Neo “supernano” Diaphragm. Now, that position will be held by the company’s latest offering: the HE400se.

Priced at an aggressive $149, the HE400se is an open-back planar magnetic design that boasts an efficiency of 91dB, making it a suitable mate for traditional amps and hand-held devices alike. Its comfortable, lightweight nature (13.75 oz) features a new headband and beveled hybrid earpads capable of accommodating a wide range of head types. Previously available in Asia only, the HE400se is specified to deliver playback in the 20Hz to 20kHz range.

“HIFIMAN is famous for developing planar magnetic headphones that bring real-world full-range sonics to personal audio,” said Dr. Fang Bian, President and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “The HE400se is the result of our tapping our deep background in planar magnetic design to create a headphone with a wide soundstage and detailed imaging at a price that is within reach of nearly every music lover with a smart portable device, no matter if the source is a high-res. audio player or a common smartphone.”

HIFIMAN says the HE400se will begin shipping in the US next month (April 2021) and will be available through amazon.com and HIFIMAN’s online store.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I can't say I've ever listened to any planar type headphones. I've always owned closed back due to using them in the same room where my wife is, and the open back would annoy her. If I had to go to my listening room, I'd rather use my system with speakers, not headphones.

Next time I go to an audio show I'll have to make it a point to try some out.

hilde45

More  
Quicksilver Line Stage
Main Amp
Quicksilver Mono 60
Additional Amp
Atoll INT200
DAC
MHDT Orchid
Cambridge CXC
Front Speakers
Salk SS 6M
Subwoofers
REL 328
Streaming Equipment
NODE 2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon HD
I find myself in tension about headphones -- from an audiophile standpoint, I remain curious about them, not least because I know they eliminate all kinds of compromises forced on me because of my room, situation, etc. But I don't like how they feel (confining, claustrophobic) and I admit my use of headphones is mostly limited to bluetooth, in-ear for taking walks, doing dishes, etc. And for those, comfort is the most important element.

rszk

I have a set of the HIFIMAN HE400i's for just over a year. I use them in my office when I need to be quiet and can't use my KEF LS50's with REL T7i subwoofer setup. I plug directly into a Denon PMA1600NE integrated amp and it has no problem driving them. They are open back headphones and are incredibly comfortable. It seems like HIFIMAN has trickled the planar tech down to very inexpensive levels. If you haven't tried them, you'll be in for a treat. I do enjoy mine. For reference, I also own a set of Sony WM1000XM3 and Apple Airpod Pro's as well. IMO the HE400i's are in a different league sonically.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I find myself in tension about headphones -- from an audiophile standpoint, I remain curious about them, not least because I know they eliminate all kinds of compromises forced on me because of my room, situation, etc. But I don't like how they feel (confining, claustrophobic) and I admit my use of headphones is mostly limited to bluetooth, in-ear for taking walks, doing dishes, etc. And for those, comfort is the most important element.
I'm with you there. It good me a good many trials (a dozen or so) before I found something comfortable and that I liked for sound. However, the issue I have is the soundstage and image not being out in front of me like it is in my room, and lack of depth acuity. If we could get the Smyth Realizer for two-channel in an affordable package, I'd be more of a player with headphones.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2

I use AirPod Pros frequently and enjoy them a lot, primarily because of convenience, but their noise cancelling is spot-on and they are comfortable. Can wear them for hours without issue. My over-ear headphones sound better but become uncomfortable after an hour of use.

Sonnie, you should give some open-backs a shot at some point. They add some much-needed airiness to the experience and help to widen the presentation.

Greg Dunn

I just bought a pair of HE4xx from Drop for nearly the same price - I wonder how similar they are? My HE4xx are quite good, though even better with Oratory1990's EQ settings. They're very comfortable but do require a little more power than most phones due to their impedance being ~32Ω.

I hesitate to use superlatives with any audio device, but these phones continually impress me with their dynamics and clarity; with proper EQ their low end is deep and subjectively very clean. If the new 400se is anything like them, it should be a hit.

Top Bottom