Help With ASIO4ALL

splitfinger09

Registered
I have installed REW and ASIO4ALL, but I am having trouble with the WDM device list. Realtek is showing an orange exclamation point. I believe this is my problem and preventing me from moving forward. The guide that I am following is saying I should be seeing "High Definition Audio" 1-8 in the output. I have attached a screen shot of what I am seeing.

I have a 7.1.4 home theater that I am trying to measure/level match with UMIK-1. AVR is Denon X6200W. Dell laptop windows 10. REW V5.20.13/ASIO4ALL 2.15.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-23 103536.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 103536.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 14

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You should deselect Realtek, you aren't using it for measurement. The Intel display audio entry is likely to be the one you need for output.

Probably better off using FlexASIO though.

splitfinger09

Registered
Thank you for the reply John! I tried using FlexASIO but I ran into this error message. Went back and tried Intel on ASIO4ALL and it isn't working either.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    222.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    243.3 KB · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Did you choose MME in FlexASIO? If so you will have to pick devices from the first half of the list as an REW bug causes an extra set of entries to appear. DirectSound or WASAPI are probably better choices for FlexASIO.

splitfinger09

Registered
I ended up choosing DirectSound as it gave me the option to select multiple speakers. I was able to use the generator to get pink noise out of the speakers, but I could not figure out how to have the noise come out of only one speaker at a time? I tried to change the settings on the Denon but I did not have any luck. No matter what I did I always had noise coming from all speakers. When I would select a specific speaker the noise was definitely louder out of that speakers but the others would play softly. Any ideas on how to get only one speaker playing at a time? Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That will be a receiver mode setting, only the receiver can send the signal to all channels. There is often a specific mode for linear PCM over HDMI, such as "Direct", but your receiver's manual should cover that.

splitfinger09

Registered
That will be a receiver mode setting, only the receiver can send the signal to all channels. There is often a specific mode for linear PCM over HDMI, such as "Direct", but your receiver's manual should cover that.
I went through all the settings in the receiver, but no matter what I still was getting sound coming from multiple speakers when only one was selected. I decided to do some research and I found that it was possibly a problem with my laptop and the way the signal was being sent to the AVR. I went to sound and change sound card settings. I was able to configure the AVR for 7.1 playback in this menu. I went back to REW, left the driver on JAVA and made sure to select the AVR prefixed by EXCL in the output settings. This seems to work flawlessly as far as the sound output placement is considered. I am able to select each individual speaker when using generator and measure. The speakers are actually labeled as well L,C,R etc. not just by a number. So basically I just want to know is this an ok way to utilize REW? I was told that I would need ASIO as JAVA was only two channel. Is this outputing sound correctly? Do I really need ASIO? Thank you!

Top Bottom