Help me find the right location for Subs, Please?

pratul

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM 70
Main Amp
Anthem MCA 20
Additional Amp
Anthem MCA 50
Other Amp
Monoprice Monolith 7x200
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
M&K S-150 THX
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S-150 THX
Surround Speakers
M&K SS-150 THX
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS-250 THX
Front Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Rear Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Subwoofers
M&K MX5000 M2 x2 + SVS PB-16 Ultra x 2
Video Display Device
JVC RS40U
Screen
Stewart 120" Greyhawk
Streaming Equipment
ROKU Ultra2
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Xfinity
Satellite System
People still use satellite systems? ;)
Hello REW Experts!
I hope you can help me find the right location for my subs. I think I have found the right location for the sub on the front right (Green). The response from it looks pretty decent. The one on the left (Blue) is the one I am having trouble with. I have tried moving in 3 inch increments (left/right & front/back) towards the front of my HT room and also along the back wall. I can't seem to get rid of the dips between 50 - 60hz and then again between 80 - 90 hz. I have tried switching the subs to make sure it isn't the sub itself that is causing this problem.

BTW: IS there a good way to move and measure the subs? Currently I move the sub and then run a measurement and repeat the process for each move. Wondering if there is a way to run the sweeps in a loop so I can move the subs and just watch the graphs till I find a good location. Will save me a tone of time.

I have also attached the layout of my theater for reference.

Can you please help?

Thanks!

My current setup:
Proc
: Anthem AVM70,
Amps: Anthem MCA50, MCA30,
Speakers: M&K S-250(front), SS-250(Surround), S-150(Back surround), Subwoofers MX5000M2 x2.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.04.49 PM.png
Subs.jpg

Attachments

• Theater.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Subs.mdat
    9.3 MB · Views: 31

pratul

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM 70
Main Amp
Anthem MCA 20
Additional Amp
Anthem MCA 50
Other Amp
Monoprice Monolith 7x200
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
M&K S-150 THX
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S-150 THX
Surround Speakers
M&K SS-150 THX
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS-250 THX
Front Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Rear Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Subwoofers
M&K MX5000 M2 x2 + SVS PB-16 Ultra x 2
Video Display Device
JVC RS40U
Screen
Stewart 120" Greyhawk
Streaming Equipment
ROKU Ultra2
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Xfinity
Satellite System
People still use satellite systems? ;)
@skid00 Thanks! I input my room detail in the spreadsheet but don't know how to interpret the details. Do I avoid the areas where the room modes happen or do I place the subs where they do?
In my case, the dips are at 50-55Hz and around 80 Hz. Per the spreadsheet I have 3rd axial mode for 56Hz at 5ft length wise and and 2nd axial mode for 82 Hz at 3/14 width wise. Is that the ideal location?

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 6.37.02 PM.png

BenToronto

Seems that you are doing the right things and are sophisticated in the issues. Once when we were re-decorating the music room, I tested 14 locations. If you test far enough distances, you will find dramatic differences. Maybe you should think about it. I wouldn't lose sleep over time alignment or phase or even polarity - just minor issues in real-world sub location. No kidding. Likewise, as long as you have sharp slopes and clean speakers, XO as high as 130 will not derange your localization.

The FR from 45 Hz south (actually, 100 Hz and below) is just what you'd want. So this issue is the hole around 53 Hz. I'd pump it up a bit and consider the matter done.

Room "correction" today is quite different than a few years ago. Today, if your speakers have a good FR and their dispersion works with your room, just a matter of slight tuning above the Schroeder band. Below, you need an Olive multi-sub to beat the room influence.

BTW, seat location(s) and mic test location have big influence in rooms. Like being central is asking for trouble.

Top Bottom