HELP! IT guy here...bundled Java security query

PeterLBU

Registered
Hello, this software is used by our Music Academics, I am desktop IT. The app comes packaged with JAVA8 but JAVA8 has security holes. Can you configure REW to use a system patched/up-to-date JRE? I guess it could also be the case that the packaged version doesn't represent a security risk - I'm no Java expert either. If this is the case could you let me know with a brief description to record (for our IT security team). Reagrds...and may thanks in advance...Peter

John Mulcahy

REW Author
JAVA8 has security holes
What would they be?

Can you configure REW to use a system patched/up-to-date JRE?
If you are running 5.20.13 and a Java 8 runtime is detected on installation it will be used. It is then up to the user or their IT folk to keep that installation up to date.

The 5.20.14 early access builds always use the private built-in runtime, since folk often don't update their own runtimes and they can be very out of date. Every new build of REW picks up the latest Java 8 runtime. The current Java 8 release is 8u381 from 18th July.

PeterLBU

Registered
Thank you for you swift reply John, much appreciated - we will run with the early release. Kind Regards, Peter

Top Bottom