HELP! Im not sure whats going on (Bass response on REW)

BeenKeen

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR575E
Front Speakers
Klipsch Synergy F-20
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Synergy C-10
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Synergy B-20
Rear Height Speakers
Selby 8" Angled Glass Fibre Cone In Ceiling Speake
Subwoofers
2x Klipsch SW-450
Hi everyone.

So, I have decided to use REW to try and rectify my lack of low end when listening to movies. 2x Klipsch SW-450
The bass seems to be there as everything rattles and does all the bassy things, but that's the thing, it is everywhere it is not supposed to be.

I got a miniDSP 2x4 and a umik-1 to see what was going on and I am getting the below (attached) response.

I have watched a few tutorials online, and YouTube mainly the "Home Theatre Gamer" series on both REW as well as the miniDSP 2x4.
He is great and I have followed all the advice given but my Bass response does not come up to reference (75db) until just under 70 Hz??

I know I do not have the best and newest gear but was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on what I could potentially do to improve things, or what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Klipsch 2xSub.jpg
    Klipsch 2xSub.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7763.jpg
    IMG_7763.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7764.jpg
    IMG_7764.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 30

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There are two potential explanations for the measurement result. It may be Windows applying noise cancellation to the mic input, or it may be the measurement is only the mains without bass redirection to the subs. For the former check the Advanced tab of the Windows audio properties (System - Sound - Related Settings on right hand side - Sound Control Panel) for the mic and for the output and select "Disable all enhancements" (if that option is available). For the latter the processing mode may be a factor, and the way you are sending the signal can also be a factor. If you are using an HDMI connection and ASIO drivers the measurement signal for the subs should go on the LFE channel, channel 4. If you are using Java drivers the measurement signals are sent to the left and/or right channels and what happens after that depends on the bass management settings.

BeenKeen

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR575E
Front Speakers
Klipsch Synergy F-20
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Synergy C-10
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Synergy B-20
Rear Height Speakers
Selby 8" Angled Glass Fibre Cone In Ceiling Speake
Subwoofers
2x Klipsch SW-450
There are two potential explanations for the measurement result. It may be Windows applying noise cancellation to the mic input, or it may be the measurement is only the mains without bass redirection to the subs. For the former check the Advanced tab of the Windows audio properties (System - Sound - Related Settings on right hand side - Sound Control Panel) for the mic and for the output and select "Disable all enhancements" (if that option is available). For the latter the processing mode may be a factor, and the way you are sending the signal can also be a factor. If you are using an HDMI connection and ASIO drivers the measurement signal for the subs should go on the LFE channel, channel 4. If you are using Java drivers the measurement signals are sent to the left and/or right channels and what happens after that depends on the bass management settings.
Hi John

Thank you so much for the quick response.
As soon as i can i will re-setup the Mic and try again checking over the mic settings.

I am using a Windows Laptop connected to my AVR via HDMI.
For all the sweeps that i have completed so far, i have been using the Java drivers, Would the suggestion be to rather use the ASIO drivers?

Top Bottom