Help finding a room correction device that has HDMI ARC

jjohnston

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking for a device that has room correction but also can work with ARC. I've been looking at the MiniDSP products, but I am told by their technical support that they don't support ARC.

What I would like is to take the ARC hdmi out from my tv, and run that into a device like the miniDSP nanoAVR HD, then HDMI out of that into my soundbar, or reciever (doesn't have built in room correction), etc...

jjohnston

Registered
. My space is limited. I assume that the ARC port on my tv won't output audio and I could just use a normal input on the minidsp?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Are you certain you need ARC? Do you have an AVR or pre-pro now? How is your soundbar connected?

jjohnston

Registered
ok, so right now my soundbar is hooked to my TV using the ARC, works great.

BUT I would like to apply some room correction, AND I would like rear speakers (my sound bar can't), AND I would like a L and R output to feed my whole house system.

I found the nanoAVR HDA, and it looks like it will do all of that, BUT, it only accepts HDMI inputs, AND it doesn't support ARC.

My TV has ARC out via HDMI, it also has Optical outputs, and I think it has a coax digital output.

My tv is the LG 75sj8570 my soundbar is the Vizio s5430w-c2

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
You could do room correction for your 2 channel with sub-out soundbar a couple of different ways with minidsp products with Dirac. Best would be 2x4HD with Dirac upgrade using optical out from tv to minidsp to analog in on soundbar.
You’ll be into it for about $600 though and I can’t figure any way to get surround channels to work without an AVR.
Using an AVR you could still use your soundbar for front channels and power surrounds and properly integrate a sub.
You might look on accessories4less and see if there’s something small enough to meet your space requirements and do what you want.

jjohnston

Registered
I may have figured out an option...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755TB82...olid=3KZXZ8TOM9IEK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This hopefully if I read it right, would take the ARC from the TV, and allow me to go HDMI audio only into the miniDSP-HDA. Then HDMI out from that into the sound bar. This would allow LCR to the sound bar, then I use analog out 4+5 to run rear speakers, then analog out 6 for sub, and analog out 7+8 for whole house audio mix...

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
You're right. From the description that converter it will work.
I checked the miniDSP HDA manual and it states hdmi and analog outputs are simultaneously active which you'll require.
Dirac Live upgrade is available for the HDA for $300 more if you're looking for room correction vs just EQ.
How will you power the surround speakers?

jjohnston

Registered
Awesome! Thanks for your help!

The surround speakers I'm hoping to find a wireless amplifier... Haven't looked much into that quite yet

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Big Oops.
Just remembered MiniDSP is HDMI 1.4 only so it won't pass 4K HDR signals to your TV.
Also MiniDSP will not process Dolby or DTS bitstreams. Just PCM only.

Also is your signal chain Source => Soundbar => TV? If yes then the soundbar is likely extracting the audio as the signal passes through it from the source to the TV and so would not be processed by the MiniDSP. ARC would only send audio to back to the soundbar from your TV apps.

What might work is Source => TV => TV Optical Out => Optical to HDMI converter => MiniDSP => SoundBar and other speakers. Would require TV to output PCM and not dolby digital signals through the optical out.

And it's getting a bit complicated so worth some more thought to be sure.

jjohnston

Registered
I was thinking source (DVD player) to tv, tv ARC out to minidsp, minidsp to sound bar.

Right now everything is source to tv, tv is ARC to sound bar. So very similar only I would add the dsp between tv and sound bar...

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I was thinking source (DVD player) to tv, tv ARC out to minidsp, minidsp to sound bar.

Right now everything is source to tv, tv is ARC to sound bar. So very similar only I would add the dsp between tv and sound bar...

Oh, and I was going to set all components to PCM...

Alrighty then. Final thought, and you've probably thought this through too, is to get any converter and test it before getting the MiniDSP. I've not used it but have read of plenty of ARC issues. Can't return MiniDSP products so perhaps a good idea to make sure the other works first.

Kal Rubinson

I will reiterate my suggestion that the best way to do this is to get an AVR with ARC and a decent roomEQ. Doesn't have to be the latest edition. Also, I am much more confident that a mainstream AVR will be more likely to be successful with ARC than gadget from some small time company. They will also stand behind it.

jjohnston

Registered
I hear what you are saying, but my space is limited. So I would need a light one (only a couple lbs) and also one that had stereo preamp outs that would convert the Dolby digital to stereo. And also have pre outs for the surround channels. Plus it would need an optical out for LCR...

I just don't know if an AVR exists that fits that?

Kal Rubinson

I hear what you are saying, but my space is limited. So I would need a light one (only a couple lbs) and also one that had stereo preamp outs that would convert the Dolby digital to stereo. And also have pre outs for the surround channels. Plus it would need an optical out for LCR...

I just don't know if an AVR exists that fits that?
Nor do I. I guess you'll have to patch.

Top Bottom