Having Trouble Calibrating Soundcard

Jiffster

When I attempt to calibrate my soundcard, I cannot get the level high enough unless I increase the level of my monitor. In doing so, I'm creating a feedback loop. Not sure how anyone can achieve -12dB without doing this. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Have my output going into input and adjusting mic gain all the way up still does not achieve -12dB. I'm sitting at -65dB.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I suspect the answer will lie somewhere in the mixer settings, but I can't offer any directly applicable advice, sorry. The output from the mixer (i.e. feeding the system when measuring or feeding the loopback for your cal) should only consist of the signal REW generates. On devices with a hardware monitor knob that corresponds to turning the dial all the way to "computer" instead of towards "input". The input REW sees should come directly from the hardware input on the interface, and also should not be any mixed signal. If you are seeing -65 dB with the gain maxed then I'd suspect the input isn't actually getting a signal. One way to start might be to hook up the output to the system (removing the loopback connection) and make sure the output levels are sensible and only include the REW signal, then reconnect the loopback and see what is happening with input levels.

Jiffster

I reached out to support for my interface and it's software mixer and received some sound (no pun intended) advice that I think has me headed in the right direction.
However, I'm not sure if the measurement I'm getting for the calibration is good enough.

I know the calibration is supposed to produce a measurement that is fairly flat and rolls off at the beginning and end.

The signal I am getting now is either flat but riples near the end or not very flat. I get varied results if I lower the gain / increase monitor volume and visa versa. The goal being to bring the signal up close to -12dB without going over and producing a flat, fairly smooth curve.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The scale for a soundcard calibration is highly zoomed in, it only covers +/-3 dB, so even tiny ripples and droops are very visible. It is probably fine, post a screenshot for confirmation.

Jiffster

Got some more advice from the tech at Audient and I think it came out great!

REQ Good Calibration.jpeg

sonicdeviant

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Audient iD44
Computer Audio
iMac
DAC
Audient iD44
Front Speakers
Behringer
Got some more advice from the tech at Audient and I think it came out great!

View attachment 24513
Hi,

Can you post what advice Audient gave you because I'm having the same issue you had with several high frequency peaks. Definitely not a flat curve.

Top Bottom