GoldenEar Announces Its New Invisa Signature Point Source Speaker

GoldenEar Announces Its New Invisa Signature Point Source Speaker

full?d=1502053119.png

(GoldenEar)
(August 6, 2017) GoldenEar Technology is no stranger to great sound. Earlier this year, the company officially unleashed its new flagship Triton Reference speakers, which headline an entire lineup of tower designs intended to meet the needs of discerning listeners. But not every enthusiast desires a true floorstanding model, after all space considerations or strict interior design requirements might make them nearly impossible to implement.

The market need for discrete architectural speakers has pushed GoldenEar’s technicians to develop in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that possess the capability to deliver an audiophile-grade auditory experience. The company’s resulting “Invisa” speaker lineup does just that, relying on a flangeless construction concept and overall sizes that are small when compared to competing products on the market.

Recently, GoldenEar introduced a new member to its category of discrete offerings: Invisa Signature Point Source (SPS). It’s a speaker that’s intended to be used in nearly any position of a multi-channel arrangement (including main and surround channels). Physically speaking, SPS has a thin depth of only 3.25-inches without an optional backbox (3.7-in with) and has a compact fascia measuring 28.16-in x 8.55-in. That makes for a total package that can easily be installed in standard wall cavities.

Each Invisa SPS carries four 5.25-in cast-basket woofers (which aren’t too dissimilar from the drivers found on GoldenEar’s Triton One freestanding loudspeaker) and a single full-size High Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter. Interestingly, the four 5.25-in drivers are not identical, nor do they cover the same frequency range. The speaker’s two outer drivers have an upper range limit of 500Hz, while the two inner drivers are tuned to produce sound up to 3kHz (which is intended to perfectly blend with the centrally mounted tweeter). The speaker’s complex crossover network (which utilizes the same fully balanced topology incorporated in GoldenEar’s top models) runs the show, making sure the speaker’s drivers blend perfectly.

The SPS carries a switch that allows for adjustment of the tweeter level, in addition owners can remove and rotate the tweeter for correct orientation for both horizontal and vertical positioning. It also offers magnetically attached low profile grilles, a non-resonant miner-filled frame structure, and a backbox option that keeps sound from entering other rooms that share similar walls.

GoldenEar is demoing the new Invisa SPS at CEDIA 2017. The speaker is priced at $999 each ($149 additional for the backbox) and is scheduled to begin shipping Winter of 2018.

Invisa Signature Point Source Specifications
Speaker Dimensions: (H/W/D): 27-9/16" (70 cm) x 7-15/16" (20.2 cm) x 3-1/4" (8.25 cm)
Depth with Optional Back Box: 3-3/4” (9.5 cm)
Grille Dimensions: 28-3/16" (71.5 cm) x 8-9/16" 21.7 cm)
Cutout Dimensions: 26-9/16" (67.5 cm) x 7-1/8" (18.2 cm)
Lockarm Clearance Required (Inside Wall): 27-3/4" (70.6 cm) x 8-13/16” (22.4 cm)
Frequency Response: 25 Hz – 35 kHz
Efficiency: 92 dB
Rec. Amp: 20 – 350 Watts/channel.
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms.
Driver Complement: Two 5-1/4" high-definition cast-basket MVPP bass/mid drivers; Two 5-1/4" high-definition cast-basket bass drivers; One High-Gauss Neodymium Reference High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR™) Tweeter

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
GoldenEar's 2016 Cedia room was running a complete Invisa speaker array and the sound quality was sensational... exciting to see the company release a slight larger in-wall speaker.

5 drivers on one speaker? Makes me wonder if these will approach their soundbars?

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the details Todd. I wonder how they sound? Maybe a youtube video later on these in wall speakers. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'd bet quite a bit that they sound excellent!

Ziad

Great article Todd. As usual. You seem to be very impressed by their 3D Array XL as your detailed review clearly demonstrates. That's significant coming from someone with your experience. However, during your review, did the sound bar come any closer to any of their triton tower series, particularly in imaging (taking into account, let's say 2 Supersub X's).... The T2 maybe?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Hi @Ziad, thanks very much! Welcome to AV NIRVANA!

I reviewed the Triton Two+ last year, so I have a good point of reference to answer your question. The 3D Array XL is a very capable system, and when paired with a sub (like the SuperSub X) can bring true two-channel performance to life. Is it an exactly replication of the performance factors offered by the Triton Two+? It is very close... what's missing is the ability to offer full-range performance in one unit. The XL really starts to taper around 120Hz... where as the Triton Two + digs deep below 30Hz (in room). Perhaps the Triton's deliver a slightly more conventional sound stage. Honestly, though, listening to the XL (+ sub) during two-channel demo sessions can easily make you forget about wanting a true two-channel system. It's that good. I found imaging to be wonderful...so vibrant and focused...and it had me sitting and listening to old favorites with an eagerness that was fun.

If you've read the SuperSub X review... then you'll know my feelings about that sub (in fact, it's so good that I bought one for use with a future system that I'm piecing together for a room in my home)...I guess if you're nit-picky, the biggest drawback to the XL is that it's crossover with the SuperSub X needs to be set at 120Hz, which some might find to add a hint of directionality (sound becomes non-directional right around 80Hz). I didn't find it to be an issue, but presentational balance could vary from room-to-room, I guess. You suggest integrating two SuperSub Xs... which could theoretically wipe that kind of concern away.

If I were looking at buying a dual sub XL system, I would do it without hesitation. It's expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for. That's my honest response. Set it up correctly, and you would have a high-performance audio platform that would deliver a musical presentation that would knock your socks off, textured with imaging and a massive soundstage. I've experienced it with a SuperSub X plus XL... so I'm confident that duals plus an XL would be a home run.

Obviously, the Triton Twos are also great performers, but they require more space than an XL system. And this is one of the reasons that the Signature Point Source speakers are exciting...they offer an even more discrete integration factor. Last year at CEDIA, GoldenEar ran an Atmos room comprised of Invisa speakers (most of which were in the ceiling) and it was excellent (really excellent). The company knows quality sound, it has highly talented engineers, and a co-founder that's a legend in the audio industry...so not too much of a surprise!

Ziad

Many thanks Todd - For the very detailed answer, this is very helpful indeed. It's really great to have all of theses amazing sound solutions from this company, many times you get puzzled on which to match together but it is part of the fun I guess !

And as you correctly mentioned, understanding of the room or environment requirements and proper set-up are key, eventually the gear will perform and GE have great gear.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
They certainly cover all of the bases...and buying any kind of GE product pretty much guarantees you'll receive high-quality construction. The company pays attention to all of the details! ;-)

What kind of system are you looking to build?

Ziad

Sure Todd

I am planning an "invisible" 7.4.2 Atmos HT.... in a living room with many construction constraints, you can imagine how crazy this objective is (hiding 11 speakers in an oddly shapped living room covered by marble in some of its walls and marble pillars.... All with no compromisation on Audio quality).

I thought of the soundbar as the solution of 3 of the 11 problems !!...The subs are no problem at all with the supersub x, they're small and look really great. Then I have the ceiling where i am not even sure if its depth can take an invisa htr700 but i am sure it can take the 650 (The gap between the fake gipson ceiling and the concrete ceiling itself is quite narrow), of course i'd prefer the htr7000. I will need 6 of the same type (4 hights + 2 rears).

I think this Invisa (SPS) is the answer to the remaining 5 channels. Fronts, sides and center, I have just noticed in your article that they have the refrence tweeter.... That's massive !!!.

The construction of the house is not completed as yet, hence I still have time to form an idea and make a decision.....

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Sounds like quite the project! I think you're barking up the right tree, speaker-wise. And, yes... those tweeters are spectacular!

We have a forum section dedicated to room/theater builds... if you're up for it, it would be awesome if you started a thread there and documented the build/install process. I'm sure others would enjoy following along! :T

https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/listening-room-home-theater-build-projects.17/

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Heads-up @Ziad ...

These speakers are now shipping and being stocked by dealers!

Top Bottom