Godzilla vs. Kong

Movie: :3.5stars:
4K Video: :5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

Ahhh, the Avengers of the monster movie world. It’s been 3 separate films leading up to this point, but we’re finally here with the face off that has been teased to us ever since King Kong came out a few years back. King Kong vs. the King of the Titans in an epic battle. Well, just with a twist that we all see coming a mile away, and the inclusion of stupid humans which has been the bane of the series up to this point.

Human garbage that bogs down the film:. Kong is under super strict monitoring by Monarch on his little island and kept away from the rest of the Titan battles that have been happening in the previous Godzilla films. He gets visitations from a deaf orphan named Jia (Kaylee Hottle) who teaches him to sign, and Dr. Andrews (Rebecca Hall) has pretty much been keeping everything under control. However, Monarch Scientist and hollow earth theorist Nathan Lind (Alexander Skarsgard) has been approached by the mustache twirling villain of the movie (of course he’s a villain. He has an accent and he’s a rich business owner. They’re always villains), one Walter Simmons (Demian Bichir) who believes that there is a hollow earth, and that there is something special down there to explore. He convinces Nathan to go with him on a journey to the center of the earth (yes, pun intended) with him, but they both need a Titan to get there. So naturally Nathan approaches Dr. Andrews and convinces her to allow them to use Kong as a sort of guide to get there.

Simultaneously we have a silly story involving Apex conspiracy theory loving employee Bernie Hayes (Brian Tyree Henry) attempts to pull information about a super secret project going on by Walter Simmons, and with the help of Madison Russell (the same girl from Godzilla: King of the Monsters) and her reluctant friend Josh (Julian Dennison) they find out that Apex is up to something big. REALLLY big.

As much as I’d like to say that’s it, that’s just the beginning of it all. The stupidity goes on for like an hour 25 minutes as humans start going to the center of the Earth to explore, Bernie and Madison start making wise cracks and digging into Apex, and all the while we’re just yelling at the screen “show the monster fighting!”. However, there are some fun battles to watch for that hour and a half both upstairs on in hollow earth, but it’s really the last 30 minutes that we want to see, and that 30 minutes is TOTALLY worth it. Godzilla and Kong destroying an entire city with abandon, and we get to eagerly hold our popcorn bucket and watch it unfold on screen. Plus, we also get to see Kong and Godzilla team up part way through to pull a WWF tag team battle on Mecha Godzilla as well (sorry, not a major spoiler, it’s in the description). It’s booms, it’s smashes, it’s Kong wielding a super powered radiation fueled axe, and it’s FUN.

Like most things, humans really do drag the story down, and the story is just LITTERED with plot holes and contrivances. I was literally howling at the screen when we go to hollow earth and see that Kong has a whole culture down there complete with a throne and a super powered axe made from one of Godzilla’s scales. An axe that can absorb radiation and be super powered up. Then there’s the humans jump starting Kong’s heart with an aerial vehicle. Kong shooting a radiation beam down to the center of the earth and kong just crawling out, and stupid wise cracks that are just PAINFUL to listen too. Still, it’s got more smashing and destroying than we could hope for and that last 30 minutes is nothing but one gigantic version of Pacific Rim just with an ape, a mech, and a lizard.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of creature violence/destruction and brief language

4K Video: :5stars: Video: :4stars:
I’m not sure whether it’s because 4K UHD discs are becoming so good at what they do, or whether studios are being lazy with the Blu-ray (as they did with DVD back when Blu-ray became a thing), but the 1080p Blu-ray just can’t even REMOTELY hang with the 4K UHD disc. The colors are shockingly more bold and vibrant, black levels aren’t even in the same ball park, and detail levels just blow past the Blu-ray without even trying. The FX laden blockbuster film is a massive ball of colors, details and just pure CGI eye candy to watch and it doesn’t show any shame at letting it all hang out. The film was sourced from a 4K digital intermediate and the native 4K transfer looks awe inspiring. The dual layer disc runs really high bitrate (sometimes in the low 90s) and image detail is just superb. The underground lair in hollow earth is amazing as you can pick out the individual rock crevaces, and the use of HDR color in the reds, oranges and neon blues are just delicious.

As I said, the HDR and Dolby Vision really make this film as the movie is just littered with neon colors everywhere. Godzilla’s neon blue radiation energy just pops off the screen, as is the red lazers of mecha godzilla, and the incredibly orange and blue tinged underground “throne” room for Kong. The blacks REALLY show the added benefit as they are beyond inky and deep. Compare the scene as Kong makes his way into his stone grotto on Blu-ray vs. the 4K. It’s not even comparable. The 4K UHD just renders the blacks so much deeper an inkier, without showing milky tones and giving way more shadow details. Great GREAT looking disc.

Audio: :5stars:
As with most Warner Atmos tracks, the Blu-ray and the 4K UHD disc (well, except for the 3D disc, which has a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track to save space) both have the same Atmos track, and it is a doozy. As impressive as the video score is for Godzilla vs. Kong, it wouldn’t be a Godzilla movie if the audio track doesn’t just take the cake. This is a sonic attack by every definition of the word, and it doesn’t ever let go throughout. Dialog is always clean and clear, and quiet moments certainly aren’t imbalanced, but boy howdy, when the action kicks off (and there is a LOOOOT of action), this is a sonic boom aimed straight at your listening position. The scene where Godzilla faces off against Kong on the boats is an incredible scene, with heavy artillery fire mixed with an ape roar, and copious smashes as the two titans duke it out. The surrounds get massively used throughout the film, and the overheads use tons of discrete sounds throughout the flick (especially in underground earth, or during the final massive battle between the 3 titans). Bass is devastating as you would have guessed, but luckily it’s not overly bloated and clipping every 2 seconds like the original Godzilla was prone to. Simply put, this is audio nirvana for those of us who like big massive action blockbuster mixes.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• Audio Commentary by Director, Adam Wingard
• Kong Discovers Hollow Earth
• Kong Leaves Home
• Behold Kong's Temple
• The Evolution of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World
• Godzilla Attacks
• The Phenomenon of GŌJIRA, King of the Monsters
• Round One: Battle at Sea
• Round Two: One Will Fall
• Titan Tag Team: The God and the King
• The Rise of MechaGodzilla

Final Score: :4stars:

Godzilla vs. Kong is just what you’d expect if you’ve seen the other films. It’s big, got two of the big boys beating each other up, and it’s full of stupid human interactions that drag the film down like the previous films. The best way I can sum up the film for you is that it should be re titled Pacific Rim: Kong vs. Godzilla and just sit back and watch the destruction. It’s hilariously goofier than any of the previous movies, but it’s the biggest, the baddest, and the most satisfying with the ending as well. The 4K UHD is just a massive massive improvement over the Blu-ray visually speaking and worth the upgrade by all definitions, and the movie itself is big dumb fun. So grab away monster lovers.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Lance Reddick, Kyle Chandler, Demian Bichir
Directed by: Adam Wingard
Written by: Terry Rossio, Michael Dougherty, Zach Shields (story by), Eric Pearson, Max Borenstein (screenplay by)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (English Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), Italian Dolby Atmos (Italian Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English, French, Spanish DD 5.1, English DVS
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin (Traditional), Norwegian, Swedish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 113 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: June 15th, 2021

Recommendation: Great 4K Monster Watch

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I agree with Pacific Rim:Kong vs Godzilla and the stupid humans interactions. It would me nice to see monster films like these in a prehistoric time with only monster interactions and very little humans if possible. Maybe the Croods vs Kong vs Godzilla.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will check my head at the door and just enjoy the destruction! lol. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I didn't want to see this... until I read your review. Dag-nabbit, Mike!

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Totally agree Michael...thin on story, strong on action and the A/V quality is off the charts good.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I watched it early on... very good movie overall. I'll watch it again... my kind of flick for sure.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I’m watching this right now on UHD disc. I watched it earlier this year when it was on HBO Max. Here’s my unscientific observation:

It looks great.

It sounds really great, but I don’t notice it sounding significantly better than the stream, though, even with the lossless audio track. I imagine it is one of two things:

A: it wasn’t mixed as aggressively as other content has been; or
B: the Dolby Digital + base layers that were streaming are highly underestimated.

my money is on B. I’ve always been impressed by what they have been able to pack into a DD+ audio stream.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
I'm going for a mixture of both. Godzilla versus Kong was a little more restrained than the previous two films, but Dolby digital Plus is heavily underrated if it's done properly

Top Bottom