Generic EQ band quantity limit?

Greg Dunn

I have been using the AUNBandEQ quite successfully since the last update - thanks again, another donation sent!

I have a system which is not sourced from computer audio, and was thinking about re-purposing one of my fixed band EQs for it, since it's no longer needed on the main system. Is there a software reason that the REW Generic EQ is limited to 20 bands? My EQ is a 31-band 1/3 octave unit (a dbx 231), and it would be handy to be able to use them all, if only for testing and optimization against a room curve.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There are no graphic EQ implementations in REW, though it is one of the things on the todo list. The easiest way to adjust a graphic EQ is probably to do it live while playing full range pink periodic noise and watching the response on the RTA.

Greg Dunn

Yes, I've done that at times; for accuracy, though, I still prefer running a MMM sweep around the listening position. For now, I just picked the most important bands and assigned them in fixed frequencies on the Generic and told it to match amplitudes; that worked well enough.

necX

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha A2080
Front Speakers
Klipsch RB-81 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-600C
Surround Speakers
Mission mi3
Subwoofers
SVS PB1000Pro
Video Display Device
Epson 9400
Screen
120"
Streaming Equipment
Nvidia Shield
Yes, I've done that at times; for accuracy, though, I still prefer running a MMM sweep around the listening position. For now, I just picked the most important bands and assigned them in fixed frequencies on the Generic and told it to match amplitudes; that worked well enough.

Hello,
And how did you do it?
I want to understand that you can put the frequencies you want in the REW EQ so that it will target you based on those predefined frequencies?

Greg Dunn

You go into the "EQ Filters" screen and set the control to Auto and the type to PEQ; choose the center frequencies of your EQ and enter Q values of the individual bands (4.32 for 1/3 octave, 1.42 for octave, etc.). Then in the Filter Tasks panel, un-check "Allow narrow filters below 200 Hz" and Vary max Q above 200 Hz" so it won't attempt to mess with the filter bandwidths.
After you have everything set up, tell the filter tasks to "Optimize gains" and it should only change the gain settings for the individual bands; when you get numbers that you think are reasonable, take those gains and enter them into your EQ.

necX

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha A2080
Front Speakers
Klipsch RB-81 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-600C
Surround Speakers
Mission mi3
Subwoofers
SVS PB1000Pro
Video Display Device
Epson 9400
Screen
120"
Streaming Equipment
Nvidia Shield
Thanks Greg, I'll try to see if I can do it.

Thank you.

Top Bottom