REW Beta Release Generating sweeps w timing reference

Mike-48

With REW 5.20 RC 11 (64 bit) on Windows 10 Professional, I'm generating sweeps for measurement from file playback. Measurement is with a UMIC-1.

Two questions:

1. If generating one channel only, should the timing reference go into that channel, the other channel, both channels?

2. In my first attempt, I generated 24-bit files, but after measurement, REW reported 16 bits. I don't know what to make of that, if anything.

Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are on Windows using Java drivers the drivers only support 16 bit data, use ASIO for the full data resolution of the mic or interface.

Which channel you put the timing reference on depends on how you will play back the file. It needs to be on a channel that goes to a speaker with a tweeter, and if you are aiming to measure both channels with the same timing reference it should stay on the same channel.

Mike-48

Thanks, John. REW has so many options and abilities, I'm a little slow grasping it all. Now, I see where I can choose the ASIO driver that I installed.
if you are aiming to measure both channels with the same timing reference it should stay on the same channel
I'm a bit confused about that. Does it mean that if I have separate files with R and L sweeps, the timing reference should be (say) in the L channel of both files? Or something else? Does that matter if I'm looking at FR and related quantities but not trying to time align the two channels?

Top Bottom