Generated test signals with LFE channel contents?

RDaneel2

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
Nord DM1200 Signature
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
Magneplanar 3.7i
Subwoofers
Rythmik F12SE (2)
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 65"
So... I tried some searches here, but perhaps my search-foo is not strong.

My problem (or "opportunity" ;) ) revolves around the fact that I am trying to use REW with my Yamaha CX-A5200 pre/pro... which under normal circumstances refuses to output anything on the SW output(s) if there is nothing coming in on the ".1" input, i.e., 2.0 channels in => 2.0 channels out.

Which means modern movies work fine, as they tend to have plenty (sometimes perhaps too much) of this kind of material.

For music though, which usually only contains 2-channel content, we still want "help" from the SW sometimes - but the only solution offered by Yamaha is the pretty much undocumented "Extra Bass" feature, which does turn on the SW (and gives us 2.0 channels in => 2.1 channels out), but is also supplying unspecified boost to lower frequencies, and gives us no control over what is fed to the SW (like, what low-pass/crossover is being used?). :(

Back to REW: since I want to run REW measurements and analysis with the minimum of additional "processing" enabled in my pre/pro, I clearly do not want this "Extra Bass" enabled... so I would like it if I could tell the signal generator to generate content for the ".1" channel when working with my SW - and I am talking about a suitable "transport", like HDMI, from the computer where REW is running to my pre/pro.

Is this capability already present and I just am not seeing it (yes, running the latest BETA of REW), am I thinking about this the wrong way, or would this actually require new functionality in the already-amazingly-comprehensive REW?

RDaneel2

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5200
Main Amp
Nord DM1200 Signature
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
Magneplanar 3.7i
Subwoofers
Rythmik F12SE (2)
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 65"
Cool, thanks, that answers my question - your software does give explicit control over the HDMI channel outputs.

Of course, I forgot to mention (since I live with it ;) ) that I usually want to run music playback with "Large" speakers, both because I paid Magnepan enough for my 3.7i setup, and because that is their recommendation for mixing Magneplanar full-range speakers with subs - and this is what puts me in the "no sub output without LFE from my pre/pro" spot.

But I can certainly measure / EQ it both ways with this level of control, and seeing (in REW) and hearing the differences could be illuminating.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom