Generate spectrograms/waterfalls of songs, movies, etc. in real time?

Drew Neilson

Registered
Is it possible to use REW with a UMIK-1 or a MiniDSP DDRC-24 and a speaker system or headphones (with those headphone measurement devices) and play a movie, a TV show, a song, or some other source of audio and generate a graph that puts frequency on the X axis, time on the Y axis (where 0 = the start of the movie, for example, and the highest number = the end of the movie), and amplitude in dBFS on the Z-axis? Alternatively, the Z axis could be represented by varying colors (which, if I am correct, is sometimes called a waterfall); this latter idea seems to be an option when taking measurements using sweeps, IIRC, but is not an option for RTA. I'd like to be able to analyze the low frequency content of songs, TV show episodes, movies, and games in real time from my UMIK-1 and/or from my DDRC-24's inputs and generate and save spectrograms/waterfalls. My MiniDSP DDRC-24 receives the LFE output from my AVR, processes it, and sends the output to my two subwoofers. When I analyze content from my DDRC-24's inputs, the data won't reflect the contributions of my subwoofers and of my room. When I analyze content from my UMIK-1, however, the data will reflect my subwoofers' and room's contributions.
Beyond that, I'd like to be able to generate spectrograms/waterfalls from my DDRC-24 *and* from my UMIK-1 simultaneously, so that I can see, in real time, how accurately my system's subwoofers and room reproduce the low frequency content of a movie, a game, etc.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Spectrum Labs can be used to generate live spectrograms, there is a lengthy AVS thread on it. To see how well your system will reproduce anything, just measure the system.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
…so that I can see, in real time, how accurately my system's subwoofers and room reproduce the low frequency content of a movie, a game, etc.
Just curious what a spectrogram or waterfall will get you for that application that RTA won’t?

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom