Frozen in "Finding audio devices" search

Calypso

Staff member
Hi Everyone:

Newbie so please be patient. On first time entering REW, I was able to define my preferences without any issues. Unfortunately, I had to exit without saving the preferences and when I returned, this message greeted me. Any suggestions as to how it can be corrected? See attachment. Thanks.

Attachments

• REW.PNG
    REW.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 7

Calypso

Staff member
If you go to C:\Users\<your username>\REW there should be an rew_output.txt file and a few other text files, please either attach them here or email them to feedback@roomeqwizard.com
Will have a look and send to you. What I observed is that it did eventually complete the scan and I was able to proceed into the preferences menu. While in this means I removed the devices not in use. I will check again what the start behaviour is tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Nothing in there explains delays enumerating devices on startup. The device in your screenshot uses Intel's SST (Smart Sound Technology) driver which has something of a reputation for causing problems, some people disable it. For most systems, those drivers can be found under Device Manager > System Devices. Look for:

Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED
Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller

Using the options Pavel linked to above in the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file might speed things up. The file is in C:\Program Files\REW, you would have to copy it somewhere else to edit it then drag the modified file back and provide Admin authorisation to overwrite the old one. It's just a text file, you could edit it with Notepad. Here is some example text to try, the additions are the last two lines:

Code:
-Xmx2048m
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=True
-DcsjsoundRates=44100,48000,96000,192000
-DcsjsoundChannels=2,4

The output log indicates the UMIK and the miniDSP Flex appear to be in use by some other application, since REW was refused access to them. That shouldn't happen if you choose the device names that start with EXCL, since those use WASAPI Exclusive drivers.

Top Bottom