four tweeters

Mike-48

Hey, dear DIY Speaker enthusiasts--

I used to own a pair of Revel Ultima Studio speakers. At one point, I heard persistent scratchiness on vocals, and Revel sent me a set of spare tweeters (two front, two rear). The problem turned out to be something else. I suppose I could return them to Revel, but are they of any value to anyone else?

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
the problem with tweeters built or designed for a specific speaker is that unless one completely revamps the crossover then they're pretty much useless except for that one speaker design. If some intrepid speaker designer has a desire to use the TS specs of that particular driver and built a speaker around it then maybe, but right now I'd say that they're best used as spares in case you blow any tweeters for your Ultimas

Kal Rubinson

Hey, dear DIY Speaker enthusiasts--

I used to own a pair of Revel Ultima Studio speakers. At one point, I heard persistent scratchiness on vocals, and Revel sent me a set of spare tweeters (two front, two rear). The problem turned out to be something else. I suppose I could return them to Revel, but are they of any value to anyone else?
Original Studio or Studio2?

Mike-48

the problem with tweeters built or designed for a specific speaker is that unless one completely revamps the crossover then they're pretty much useless except for that one speaker design. If some intrepid speaker designer has a desire to use the TS specs of that particular driver and built a speaker around it then maybe, but right now I'd say that they're best used as spares in case you blow any tweeters for your Ultimas

Michael, understood. Though many of the DIYers I know are using things like miniDSP, which perhaps can take care of such things?

Original Studio or Studio2?

Original Studio. They were sold about 5 years ago when I moved to a new room.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Michael, understood. Though many of the DIYers I know are using things like miniDSP, which perhaps can take care of such things?

Original Studio. They were sold about 5 years ago when I moved to a new room.

sorry for the late reply Mike... I got distracted with film reviews this week...

a mini-dsp will do very little when you're trying to implement a tweeter into a speaker design. It's takes a lot of guess/test/revise and technical fun to implement a speaker with a designated woofer and then of course designing what cabinet it will go in. You basically have to build your own crossover from scratch to make them work together, and not every tweeter will like every woofer. It's a balancing game of trying to find the woofer that meshes well with your tweeter, and then playing around with capacitors and resistors on a crossover till you get the sound you like. It's why companies spend MILLIONS on R&D for their speakers as you can't just slap a tweeter and a woofer in a box then play with some EQ settings and call it a day.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
T/S parameters do not apply to HF transducers in the same way as LF drivers, T/S mostly address driver/enclosure interaction.

Radiation pattern is another matter. It's good to try to XO where the woofer (or midrange) starts to beam, but before the tweeter is below it's excursion capabilities.

Put 'em on sale. Revel isn't going to miss them or go broke over it. Personally, as a former B&W owner (and present day RAAL owner), I like having spares around.

Top Bottom