Feature request (invert frequency response)

ironmine

Registered
There are websites which offer impulse responses to correct the frequency responses of headphones to make them sound flat.

However, not all people like the completely flat frequency response and they would like to equalize their headphones differently.

But, unfortunately, the websites do not provide the frequency responses of headphones, only correction impulses.

Adding the feature "invert frequency response" would allow a person to import an impulse, invert it and get what is basically the frequency response of headphones. Then people can equalize it to their liking, according to the preferred curves.

I would kindly appreciate this feature.

I also bring my apologies if this feature already exists, I was not able to find it.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The correction filters are not inverses of the frequency response, they are attempts to bring the response to a particular target curve. Those target curves depend on the system used to measure the headphones, all headphone measurements are very, very far from flat and the details of their response shapes depend on the physical characteristics of the measurement jigs.

A response can be inverted using the trace arithmetic features, A/B where A is a perfect impulse. An example of a perfect impulse file is attached.

Attachments

• 96k-impulse.mdat
    5.1 MB · Views: 70

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have added 1 / A and 1 / B to the trace arithmetic operations for the next build.

Top Bottom