Feature Request: Crest Factor and M-Noise in Noise Generator

pklose

Dear John and Forum,

hope you all had a good Christmas time!

What I am missing in the REW audio generator is
(1) a function to manipulate the crest factor of the generated noise
(2) the implementation of M-Noise (m-noise.org) for AES X-250 compliant measurements

Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
M-noise generation is proprietary, they only allow embedding a file they have generated, which seems needlessly inefficient in adding bulk to downloads.

Control of crest factor is something that is only practical for periodic sequences, and even then the ability to lower the crest factor is limited. Presumably you want sequences with a higher crest factor than REW's default 6 dB target?

pklose

True with the bulk - I like light installers... Viewed from a more abstract perspective: Could I have a file playback option in the generator? Then I could import the M-noise file and play it back from here.

Regarding the crest factor: in 97% of the cases the 6 dB crest factor is fine, but sometimes I need 12 dB.

Sergejs

More  
DAC
Apple USB-C dongle
Front Speakers
KH120A
Center Channel Speaker
Studio 520c
Surround Speakers
Control One
Hello, I would like to ask John if adding M-Noise SPL measurements is something you are seriously planning?

The reason I am asking is, I am considering to run a project to write open-source software to automate M-Noise SPL measurements but it would be very silly if it turns out that the next REW version has the same functionality.

thanks

Sergejs

More  
DAC
Apple USB-C dongle
Front Speakers
KH120A
Center Channel Speaker
Studio 520c
Surround Speakers
Control One
OK,

uh yes! Have you checked opensoundmeeterfor max spl measurements?
Thank you for reminding this one - I already forgot that it exists.
It is true, this is the only open-source software that supports M-Noise, unfortunately it is a bit limiting for my use-case. I will need to go a bit further :)

pklose

OSM is the only free SW I know which can measure coherence in real time.

Top Bottom