Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Fast X

front1.jpg
Movie: :4stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

AV NIRVANA is member and reader-supported. When you purchase an item using our links, we might earn an affiliate commission.

1.jpg
Movie

I’m still amazed at what The Fast franchise has become over the last 22 years. Back in 2001 I was a 19 year old college student wanting to see a movie about fast cars, faster women, and some explosions. So The Fast and the Furious delivered exactly that. A movie with a then VERY popular Vin Diesel about an undercover cop infiltrating a gang of street racers who were moonlighting as petty thieves to fund their cars. A simple drama about how family could exist outside of blood and last names. It was fun, concise, and really didn’t NEED a sequel. Even audiences thought a sequel was lame sauce when 2 Fast, 2 Furious came out a couple years later without Vin. The series pretty much became a standalone trilogy when the spin-off Tokyo Drift came out. It under performed (comparatively) at the box office, and Vin and Paul really didn’t see a need to keep the keep the tiny “franchise” going. So everyone was certain that we weren’t going to see another film in the series and just enjoyed our HD-DVDs and Blu-rays for what they were.

But money talks, and Vin Diesel was falling out of the public eye. His films were passion project nerd movies that under performed badly, and even his Riddick sequel was not wildly received. So you know what? One more ride sounds fun, and he was able to pull pretty much the entire case from the first couple of movies in a last hurrah labeled Fast & Furious back in 2009 that happens before the events of the 3rd movie. Shocking as it seemed, the audience LOVED the fourth film and it became blatantly obvious that love of the original cast was what drove the massive box office. And much like every franchise out there, they decided to get bigger, more massive budgets, and add in more stars. Gal Gadot, Han from Tokyo Drift and now The Rock was added in as a “villain”. Bit by bit, dollar by dollar, the street racing franchise branched out into full on heist films, and soon enough became James Bond era the 1990s with an ensemble cast as the crew did work for the CIA and other various agencies. Each film adding onto the last and getting bigger, increasing the size of their family, until the 7th film where Paul Walker died in a fatal car crash before primary filming was done. At this point we ALL thought that the Fast series was over. Done, caput. They had lost one of two main cast characters that had been there from the beginning, and that is stereo typically known as an audience attention killer. Yet somehow Vin decided to go ahead with the rest of the cast, making the series crazier, the budget higher, and the next film grossing over a BILLION DOLLARS with Fast 8. We even got a spin-off film with Hobbs & Shaw simply due to the fact that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Jason Statham’s villain characters were TOO well loved by the public (it did ok, nothing fantastic, but solid at the box office. The 9th movie had everyone’s tongue firmly implanted in cheek, with even the cast winking and nodding at the camera as Dom becomes Iron Man and superman all in one, they actually went to space (*sigh) and but the box office was starting to dwindle just a tad.

And that brings us to today, Fast X. Touted as the first part of a gigantic finale (just a heads up if you didn’t know, this is basically part 1, and ends with a massive cliff hanger) Where Vin has promised (lol) that the franchise will finally wrap up. The plot is about a simple as Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder but as convoluted and bloated as a Pierce Brosnan James Bond flick. Dom and his ever expanded family are living the high life. They are still doing work for the CIA, and they’re filthy rich from all of the jobs they’ve pulled over the years. That is until an old enemy from the past resurfaces some 10 years later and decides that he’s not just going to punish Dom (Vin Diesel) and the rest of them, but make them truly SUFFER. Who is this villain from a previous film you might ask? Well, he comes I the form of Dante (Jason Momoa), the son of Hernan Reyes (the villain from the 5th film. You know? The one they stole the vault from). Turns out he was in one of the other cars that Dom and Brian (Paul Walker) sent over the bridge into the river and presumed dead.
decided to adopt the whole book.

2.jpg
Surviving by only movie magic means, Dante has been carefully taking over his father’s old work and working in the shadows to finally craft a fool proof trap to take Dom down. And he’s going to do it by picking off his team one by one and making them suffer before pulling off the ultimate act of punishment to a father. Taking his young son Brian (Leo Abelo Perry) from him before killing Dom.

OK, after F9: The Fast Saga back in 2021 I thought the franchise was pretty much over. Same after Hobbs & Shaw (which drastically under performed). Both of them were at peak lunacy, with over the top action, Dom playing God and Superman rolled into one (the “bring down the walls” scene with the chain was downright embarrassingly hilarious) and the box office was STARTING to roll off a good bit. So color me less than enthused when I heard that not only was he going to make ANOTHER movie as the finale, but also split it into two parts. At this point I was pretty checked out and was ready for the series to just end. They had already pushed the envelope as far as they could, and while still making money, you could tell the creators were running out of steam. So color me more than surprised when I came out of Fast X with a huge grin on my face after having a blast.

Fast X is probably the largest and most expansive “family” film ever. Pretty much EVERY character from the past is either resurrected, or finally included for the next movie (despite swearing he would never come back to the franchise) to point that this is basically the very basis of a comic book movie. Nobody ever dies, and even though we’ve grieved for them and said goodbye, they WILL show up again. It’s gotten to the point of self aware humor, and I’m kind of rolling with it. Who cares if Han died in Tokyo Drift, he’s now in the movies as a big character. Who cares if a certain someone died on a plane a few movies before. Yeah, said person is coming back for the next movie. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Paul Walker comes back from the dead and makes a personal appearance as Brian at some point. But who cares. We’re hear to see things blow up, Ludacris and Tyrese Gibson make quips at each other, and hear Dom mutter “something something grumble grumble family” a million times.

Some of the new characters are completely superfluous, and others a fun addition. Brie Larson is here as Tess, the daughter of Kurt Russell’s Mr. Nobody) for…..well...who knows what reason, as she barely does anything in the film. Alan Ritchson plays the hulking CIA boss after her father turns up missing, and he’s actually a fun side character (with awful dialog). Nathalie Emmanuel is still in the “family” for no reason whatsoever (seriously, she’s probably the most useless character I’ve ever seen), and Charlize Theron comes back as her old nemesis Cypher, except this time as a semi good guy?

If you watched F9 then this is pretty much more of the same. Same horrific dialog. Same over the top action, and even more bad lines from John Cena (Dom’s long lost bad guy brother) and a bloated 2 hours and 20 minute run time for what is effectively the first half of the story. On paper and in practice this should have equaled the underwhelming 9th movie, but there is a single character in the movie that just elevates it to another plane and into the “so campy and over the top it’s fun” category. And that happens to be Jason Momoa as Dante. I have no idea how he pulled it off, and it’s completely out of left field, but the typically one note “hey bro, I’m tough guy” growler that has been playing the same character since Stargate: Atlantis just STEALS the entire movie. I’m not talking about “has a few good scenes” either. I’m talking straight up robs the entire movie and drags it along with him to the point where I was having a blast. Momoa plays an over the top super villain to the EXTREME, twirling his mustache, blowing stuff up, and pulling off awful one liners in a way that can only be described as Peter Stormaire era Armageddon level. I truly mean this, but Jason Momoa was the best part of the movie and really made this movie go from “eh, it’s big and over the top, but kinda bland” into full on hilarious comedy gold. Yes, the movie is bad. Yes Vin Diesel still thinks he’s a super star, but by golly, this was FUN.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, language and some suggestive material

Video: :5stars:
3.jpg
The 1080p Blu-ray is not going to be able to stand up to it’s big 4K UHD brother, but the Blu-ray encode is about as good as it’s going to get for the 1080p format. It’s bright and shiny, with lovely colors popping everywhere. I did notice that it seemed a bit more bright and maybe not “washed out”, but definitely not as rich in the blacks department as the HDR/Dolby Vision counterpart could. Still this is rife with razor sharp details, from the cool lines on cars, to the crumbling bricks and debris falling from the disintegrating dam as Dom roars down it. Dark shadow ridden scenes have a little bit of crush, but no signs of any major banding or other artifacting. Basically this is straight up digital glory in 1080p and about as good as a Blu-ray is going to look.

Audio: :5stars:
4.jpg
Whether you’re listening the 4K UHD or the Blu-ray, Universal has kept the same Dolby Atmos track for both discs, and said track is a DOOZY. Matching the video score blow for blow, the Atmos track is just what you’d expect from the Fast franchise. Loud, powerful bass, aggressive use of the overheads/surrounds, and a great balance with the rest of the dialog. Simply put, this is auditory perfection at our disposal. The opening scene with Dom teaching little Brian how to drive is absolutely pulsating with energy and immersion, with tires squealing all around us, and the score ripping down the walls with utter bass devastation. The rest of the movie follows right along, with gut wrenching car chases, explosions galore, and a massive use of the overhead channels with helicopter blades thudding overhead, or the roar of an engine as Dom’s car flies over the interstate (*sigh, you’ll have to watch the movie for that). The bass is never really that low with a decent drop off around the 20-22 hz range, but there’s a LOT of bass where it counts. I complained in the 9th movie that things felt a bit “soft” in the bass department, albeit very balanced, but this takes it back to the good old “slam you back into your seats” style of the previous films. Simply put, this is a killer audio mix and one to demo your HT for the year for sure.

Extras: :3.5stars:
5.jpg
• FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR LOUIS LETERRIER
• This Is Family – Family bonds are always the strongest. Reunite with your favorite FAST family members as we introduce new characters, travel across continents, reveal intimate views of epic stunts, and get personal about the beginning of the end of the FAST franchise.
• FAST BREAKS: SCENE BREAKDOWNS WITH LOUIS LETERRIER* – Director Louis Leterrier gives insight into some of the magic that went into making FAST X, breaking down how he filmed these unforgettable action scenes in legendary locations around the world.
• Xtreme Rides of FAST X – In FAST, we cast cars like we cast characters. Take a closer look at how classic FAST cars were rebuilt for FAST X, and which new vehicles are customized and introduced to enhance the lifeblood of the franchise.
• BELLES OF THE BRAWL – The women of FAST X are not to be messed with. Watch as they add their special talents to huge fight scenes, from rehearsal to the real thing.
• TUNED INTO RIO – Revisit FAST's past as our story takes us back to Rio de Janeiro, where we'll experience a non-stop party, exotic cars, and a classic FAST quarter mile street race.
• JASON MOMOA: CONQUERING ROME* – Jason Momoa joins the FAST franchise to portray a villain that pushes the team to the brink of disaster. Watch as Momoa discusses his approach to the character, biking down the narrow streets of Rome, and performing his own stunts.
• LITTLE B TAKES THE WHEEL – Get to know the youngest member of the Toretto family as we dive into Little B's journey in FAST X and introduce Leo Abelo Perry.
• A FRIEND IN THE END – The FAST franchise has a history of shocking end-credit tags, and FAST X is no different. We take a special look at this scene and why, if you're watching a FAST movie, you never want to get up before the end credits are finished!
• Gag REEL
• MUSIC VIDEOS
- "TORETTO" BY J BALVIN
- "ANGEL PT. 1" BY KODAK BLACK & NLE CHOPPA (FEATURING JIMIN OF BTS, JVKE & MUNI LONG)

Final Score: :4stars:

If you had told me back in 2007 or 2008 that the pretty much dead car racing trilogy that I loved as a teen was going to continue on to encompass 11 films (if you include Hobbs & Shaw), gross BILLIONS of dollars, and still have another bullet left in the chamber for April 2025 (according to all reports so far), I would have laughed in your face and told you that you were insane. Yet somehow Vin Diesel and his crew have managed to carve out a successful (if not completely stupid at times) 22 year long legacy that has made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood. Which is impressive when you consider that outside of the Fast series and starring as Groot in the MCU, Diesel’s career was pretty much dead in the water circa 2009. I gotta hand it to them. The 10th film in the franchise is stupid, big, bold, and full of all the old action tropes that the last 4 films have been known for, yet somehow manages to win me over have me giggling the entire run time. The film is the ultimate “check your brain at the door” film, and by that I mean you HAVE to check your brain at the door and turn it off, otherwise this film will probably kill your brain. Seriously. I’m pretty sure they put warning signs up at the theater when I went. The Blu-ray is not going to rival the superior 4K UHD disc in terms of video quality, but it's still a killer 1080p experience and a top notch demo disc. Fun Watch

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Charlize Theron, Jason Statham, John Cena, Jason Momoa, Brie Larson, Alan Ritchson
Directed by: Louis Leterrier
Written by: Dan Mazeau, Justin Lin, Zach Dean
Aspect Ratio
: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English DTS-HD MA 2.0, Spanish, French Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Universal
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 141 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: August 8th, 2023

image.png

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Overall, the franchise has done well. Some better than others of course. Will get the box set of course once the final is done.

Top Bottom